Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekenny

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2005
New York
Hello,

I took a bunch of photos of a black lab (both inside the house and out). The ones outside came out better than the ones taken inside but they either showed the background as being well exposed and the dog hard to see, or the dog well exposed and the background over exposed.

Id like to get some nice, up close portrait shots, but I've had trouble with how the light reflects in the coat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Have you tried using Fill Flash? That will fill in the detail on the dog and make it more properly exposed in relation to the scene.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It really depends on how much of the frame the dog fills, but if you're indoors, overexpose by +1/3rds or +2/3 of a stop and forget what the meter says. Hell, even if you're outside, try overexposing by +1/3 stops on a sunny day.

If you're using a point and shoot, use the exposure compensation to expose the dog by that extra +1/3 or +2/3 stops.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Spot metering will help, even if your dog isn't named Spot but of course, your camera has to have it available.

It uses a more limited area to set the exposure.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hello,

I took a bunch of photos of a black lab (both inside the house and out). The ones outside came out better than the ones taken inside but they either showed the background as being well exposed and the dog hard to see, or the dog well exposed and the background over exposed.

Id like to get some nice, up close portrait shots, but I've had trouble with how the light reflects in the coat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Fill flash and spot metering are both good suggestions. You may also want to turn on bracketing if your camera supports it, so you can have both a properly exposed dog and background and merge the two images.

ekenny

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2005
New York
Cool thanks for all the replies. I just ordered a new high quality flash so I'll try that and the spot metering.

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
I use a simple technique where I meter the dog, a few spots in the background, then make an average of the reading the camera gives me.

If I don't have time, I slightly over expose the shot, and that usually gets the dog where I want it, and I can adjust in PP to make everything look good.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
I have the exact same issue with my dog.

So far the best I've been able to do is fill flash, spot metered on the dog, overexposed by about 2 stops, then use a curve in photoshop to reduce the background exposure as necessary.

Even then its hit-and-miss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.