photography and the mac book pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by prevacidman, Mar 27, 2006.

1. prevacidman macrumors member

Should I go ahead and get the 15" or wait for the 17". Will there be that much of a difference when editing and showing images? What to do???

2. SpAtZ macrumors regular

Get 15-inch plus $500 external display(Dell). It will cost the same as a 17inch if the intel model stays at the same price as the current PowerPC models are currently.

3. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

a second display is key ... one for image and one for palettes --- i set up dual display 2 months ago and wonder how i ever lived without it

forget the 17 -- the 15 is more portable and the second display gives you more real-estate

4. SpAtZ macrumors regular

5. prevacidman thread starter macrumors member

I will be using elements but considering getting aperture as well.

6. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I would get the 15 inch MBP, with an extra screen and make sure you get as much ram as you can

7. SpAtZ macrumors regular

Photoshop is not going to run well on intel until its universal. You probably should look into getting aperture.

What kind of camera?

8. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

This rumor needs must stop being repeated. True, Photoshop will not run at its peak performance until it is running natively on Intel processors. But saying that it will not run well is not true. My 2.0GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro finished almost twice as fast as my iMac G5 2.1 GHz doing the Photoshop test that can be found on this forum. Here is a link to the test:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=136593

9. prevacidman thread starter macrumors member

canon 20d...I already have a westtinghouse 17 monitor on my crappy dell. I would need a DVI to VGA adapter. Does this sound like the smart thing to do?

10. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I've heard (from the pro commercial photographer that I intern for) that aperture is a bad program. He runs CS2, Sinar captureshop, and photo mechanic. He had aperture but returned it because it sucked so bad, so I don't know if I would recomend it as a program.
    As for the monitors... I agree with everyone else- go 15in with an external. When mine gets here I'm going to get my grandparnt's old monitor (they just got a new dell...sad...but it was only $300 and apple couldn't top that) and stick that on my desk for video editing.

11. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I think the main concern that people have with Aperture is the Raw conversion, which under some conditions does not perform well. Apple are aware of this and is one of a number of areas that will be improved in a new patch due this month, so it may be early to write Aperture off at this stage.

12. prevacidman thread starter macrumors member

so the 15"

not one vote for the 17" if and when it comes out. You have just about gotten me to order the 15".

13. Willy S macrumors 6502

IMO, Lightroom blows Aperture away in terms of simplicity and user friendliness, yet the Lightroom gets the job done. Just check out the free Lightroom beta2...

Now about the screens. You don´t want to do any critical image editing on a laptop screen since they have TN panels, at least most of them. Getting an external monitor is almost a necessity and you can then use your laptop screen for the palettes and other stuff.

I cannot photoshop properly on my 17" iMac G5 Rev A so I´m getting some nice S-IPS panel 20" or smaller that performs well when the VGA plug is used, since my iMac only has VGA out but not DVI.

14. prevacidman thread starter macrumors member

I have a 20" imacG5(not intel) but was the getting the laptop for flexability. Want to edit and handle photo business when I am not at home in front of the G5. Should I just stop pass on the laptop and keep using g5.

15. Willy S macrumors 6502

Well, I guess it depends on how much accuracy you need and how good the laptop screen is. You could check out which panel type it has.

16. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Another vote for the 15" + 20-21" additional monitor. You might enjoy that 17" for a while, but then what happens when you realize that it's a monster to lug around, and that you need that additional screen real estate down the road, and you have to shell out another $500+ bucks?

Grab that sweet 15" now and order a monitor and be done with it.

Z

17. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Right now I have a (sig) powerbook plugged in via DVI to a Dell 20" widescreen and I LOVE IT. I like having a laptop and like having a big monitor for when I"m at a desk. Just today I was overly tempted to go buy a new Macbook at the Apple Store cause I would like lots more VRam (currently 32 :(). I'm still debating on that, I figure I could get $600-800 for my powerbook and then the bottom MBP wouldn't be too much of a hit...

Anyhow, 15" is so perfect, 17" is too big and 12" gets really cramped until you plug in an external.

18. airkarol macrumors 6502

I sold my 1.67 PB, 512 MB ram, 64 VRAM for $1525. I had to put out another 1k for the MBP, but its a huge difference in speed.

19. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

Photoshop runs fine on my machine which is the same as yours...and so does Aperture. ;)

20. prevacidman thread starter macrumors member

maybe I should forget the laptop and get a new iMac intel 20 " and get rid of my G5 20". Someone said a laptop will never be as clear as a desktop pc.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is the very best way you can go.

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Aperture is a very good programm, it has potentional. I think they'll release v2 and it will be even better :)

23. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I agree, give it a few versions before you give it the boot. I haven't used it yet though as my Powerbook won't handle it, but I certainly look forward to it when I do upgrade my Mac to something that will. I really love working with RAW images and how much control you have and such and hope that Aperture proves to be up to par with the other Apple Pro Apps before too long, which is should.

24. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

as a professional, there is one piece of software invaluable to every shooter.

PHOTOMECHANIC...

the guys over at camera bits have THE BEST tech support..emails are answered very quickly.

and...the software is fast...really...really...fast...and UNIVERSAL.

BY FAR the BEST image viewing software out there to go along with CS2. It also allows you to ingest your cards with IPTC metadata, and rename files, all automatically...a handy addition.

grab a 15", a LCD, and photomechanic to go along with photoshop...you will be happy.

25. prevacidman thread starter macrumors member

got it!

Went to Atlanta Sat. Got 2.0 GHZ MBP. What an impressive piece of techology!! Had a shoot yesterday and we went with clients to grab a bite to eat afterwards. Brought MBP inside...uploading pics from Canon 20D and used remote control to watch slide show of shoot with music. BLOWN AWAY! Clients loved it and I loved it. 15" is PERFECT SIZE.