Photography VIII - Photos...

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Here are a few snaps I took just now. The sky looked cool, but by the time I grabbed the camera and went outside, it wasn't as cool...

Attached Files:

• sky.jpg
      sky.jpg
      File size:
      44.1 KB
      Views:
  2. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Another...

Attached Files:

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I spent the day in Lafayette, LA with a good friend of mine. She took me around to some cemeteries, and here's one I got while there.

Attached Files:

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Finally, I am able to post pictures I took with my new Canon S50 digital camera!

I just got back from San Diego earlier today, and I've got quite a few pictures. Several of them are candid shots with my friends, but I got some nice artistic shots...

Here's a shot from Christmas Lunch that I thought looked interesting.
    [​IMG]

This shot is from me playing around with my new camera...
    [​IMG]

Here, we have a picture of some part of southern California that I took from my plane trip to San Diego.
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of a bridge near the hotel I was staying at in San Diego, the Hyatt Islandia hotel / resort.
    [​IMG]

These next few shots are from Sea World in San Diego. This is a close up of a flamingo.
    [​IMG]

These are some moray eels (spelling?).
    [​IMG]

To be continued...

5. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Continued...

While this picture isn't the sharpest or clearest, I like the way the beams of light shine through the water, with the stingray swimming up. I had to use a longer exposure because the flash would've just reflected back against the glass of the tank, and I didn't have a tripod, so it's a bit blurry.
    [​IMG]

Here's a better picture of a stingray.
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of a dolphin that I got when he swam right up to me.
    [​IMG]

This one was a lot of fun, watching Shamu jump out of the water like that.
    [​IMG]

This shot is from the Holiday Bowl Parade. I just like the way the picture looks for some reason.
    [​IMG]

Here's a tall ship I saw while eating lunch after the parade.
    [​IMG]

And finally, my brother in the Austin airport, exhausted after being up for over 24 hours doing a parade, band practice, and a football game, and then flying back to Austin right afterwards. The shot just seemed appropriate. A tired traveler in an airport waiting for his flight.
    [​IMG]

All of these pictures have been sized down to fit on this page easily. I'm sorry for doing a double post, but I had over 200 pictures from my trip to San Diego for the Holiday Bowl.

Now that I'm home, I'll have more chances to get some artistic shots. I'm thinking I'll get up on the roof and get some sunrise and sunset pictures next...

6. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Nice shots G4, I especially like the cork shot.
    I went around today to a new house that's being built by some of my family, I was meant to be taking pictures of certain areas for building reference but I got in a few recreational ones...

Attached Files:

7. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Love that statue eye. And g4, the pic of the girl from the parade is stellar.

Here's a few new ones from me wanderings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

Very nice pictures everybody! That tree pic is relly good, Moxie.

Here's a shot from yesterday night taken with the 300D;

[​IMG]

Considering I live in a small town (about 30.000), there's a lot of fireworks, and it's all private. Nothing funded by the city itself.

9. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Nice view there, Zenith!
    I didn´t have such a perspective, but I can contribute now even better with my new Kodak DX 4530...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a nice statue eyelikeart, I wonder if that is a likeness of the person buried or is generic?

Your cemetery scene is very sad moxiemike, such a short life. :(

Those are nice water scenes G4Scott, thank you.

Thank you Stike & Zenith for the nice picture of fireworks, always enjoyable.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

thanks moxie & wd...the statue was supposed to bear the likeness of the person there...

nice shots moxie...that cemetery one is great with the snow...

zenith...that's wild... :D

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

You've just never seen snow, Mr. South. :)

Zenith.... I'm moving in. I'll be there next week. You sold me on your hometown. :D

here's some stuff from today.

I also think the final Dixmont run is coming up soon. So some creepiness from an abandoned mental ward.... maybe by the end of the weekend. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

oh dude...I wanna go... :(

here's more from yesterday...

[​IMG]

14. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Awsome shots mike, I especially like the statue with the anti-bird wires on its head :p

Just got a film roll back; some good VW shots. ;)
    http://www.another35mm.com/gallerysite3/

Rainy day;
    [​IMG]

Sunset @ the beach;
    [​IMG]

People;
    [​IMG]

Beige Bug;
    [​IMG]

Reflection;
    [​IMG]

15. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

VW theme there Wardo?

nice shots though, The first VW shot is PERFECTLY framed. Great Comp and perfect exposure. :)

16. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

Very nice pictures Eye, Wardofsky and Moxie! The first one of the fireworks pics are very good as well, Stike! I have to contribute with some more pics from my hometown and the surroundings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first one is mine, and the rest is my father's pics. He had to test his new 300D, so he went for a walk and shot some really great pics.

It's quite cool in the first pic where you can see my sister's nails with paint all blurred up. And the fog was really nice that day, as you can see in the 4th pic.

Feel free to move in Moxie! We have a spare room. :p :D

17. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

18. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    as always, some wicked pics...one of these days i'll be contributing too...

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Your Dad really has some nice pictures Zenith. I especially like the one of your sister in the first set and the landscape third picture in the second set.

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm looking forward to it. U have a natural eye for it. ;)

21. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Can someone help me use my camera? I have a Canon Powershot G2, and I can't seem to take GOOD pictures. Like those ones your dad took, Zenith, where he got the bird closeup, nice and clear, but faded the backround.

I tried yesterday, and I can't do it. No matter what I change on teh settings of the camera. Any close-up picture gets blurred. I even set the camera to Macro mode, and turn on single-focus mode, and it still doesn't workout.

Can someone help me with this?

22. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Actually yeah, I'm a member @ the MCC (Melbourne Camera Club) and part of my presentation is to do a series.
    When I thought about how many "old school" bugs I had seen drive by I thought, why not? ;)

23. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

I love the first two shots with the birds!
    They look great, the first one is nice because you can see the the texture of the snow.

24. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Hmm, the G2 is an older model, but you should still be able to get some nice shots. I have the S50, and it's really good with those types of shots. It even has a manual focus...

Back to your question...

If you want a shorter depth of field, where you focus on the subject, and blur the background, if your camera will let you (which I'm pretty sure yours should), you can set your aperture priority to a lower number. Let the camera decide the shutter speed, and make sure it focuses on the part that you want in focus.

You might also be able to manually focus the image yourself. If there's a button that says "MF", try holding it down, then using the up and down arrows to select the focus distance. I don't know if your camera has this feature, but it should help.

I'm no pro, but I think these things should help you with your quest for better pictures. It also wouldn't hurt to go to your local library, and see if they have any photography books that might help. Also, I'm sure there are more people on these boards who can help, and know considerably more than me on the subject. They can also correct me if I'm wrong.

My best advice would be just to take the camera out, and play around with it in all of it's modes, to see what it can do. That's how I learned with my first digital camera, and it's really helped. Just be glad you have a camera with tons of advanced features. It really comes in handy.

EDIT: I just remembered something else that might help. A tripod. If you can't hold the camera steady, then your shots will come out blurred. It's especially essential at night or in low light conditions where a longer exposure is required.

25. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Thanks, I have the MF button. I will play around with that, I think it should really help.

I have this button thats picture is a square with a dot in the center. What does that do? I press it, and nothing ever seems to happen.

[EDIT] - Cool, the Manual Focus really helped. Now for closeups, I turn the camera to Macro mode, then select manual focus. It brings a little box up in the middle of the screen with what I am focusing, and I adjust. Very cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.