Photography

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Feb 14, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I guess i am being random here but....

what is your favorite camera that you've owned, not counting digital cams?

i've only owned one myself, i have a super old canon AE-1 i was given for christmas as sort of a hand me down. it has a normal small lens, and a big 100-300mm zoom lens as well. it's kinda fun to mess with.

are you guys manual purists, or do you prefer more automated cameras?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Well my main camera right is a digital...heh....Minolta Dimage 7i...killer...

but I have a 1978 Minolta XE-5 35mm that is an amazing piece of equipment...only problem is every now & then the shutter sticks halfway and I end up with half frames...weird...

www.eye-creative.com/fotos/index.html

www.eye-creative.com/newfotos/index.html

www.eye-creative.com/lack/index.html

here's some samples of what I've done...

also...be sure to check Moxie & my thread on www.thefotohaus.com for all of u guys who think u got the goods to make some money doing stock photography... ;)

3. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Nikon F3 (w/ motor drive) :D

my fav lenses are the 200 f/2.8 AF macro, 58 f/1.2 noct, and the 14 f/2.8 AF

I really like my F5, but the F3 is so small and light (when you take off the motor drive, that is...)

I also have a Mamiya 7 with that killer 150mm f/4.5 but I really wish it had a better light meter

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Why the heck would you not include the digi's. You Crazy? man since i went digital i have all but forgotten film. ( Film whats that! ) I have a little Fuji Fine pix 2600 and it has been awsome. I couldnt even tell you if my 35mm still works or even the name of it now.

5. Hawthorne macrumors regular

The Correct Answer to this Poll is...

The Nikon F2 Photomic. Only camera in the world that can double as a framing hammer. :) Seriously, after 10+ years as a shooter, my fav cameras are the above mentioned F2, the Olympus XA, Olympus Stylus, Nikon FM2, and the Hassie 500c.

Yep, I'm a traditionalist, though I shoot 100% digital now. It's not that I don't love the ease of use and results I get from digital, it's just that I don't think they've been around long enough to be considered "Classic" (Maybe the D-1 has, though). Before digital, I upgraded only when autofocus and exposure were sophisticated enough to make a difference in my shots. With the constant changing of "state of the art" in digital, and corresponding dramatic improvements in picture quality, upgrading is mandatory now.

6. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i'm not saying that digital cameras aren't cool or worth getting. it's just, i was more interested in seeing a discussion of film cameras here. and though you don't need it, you still get like 10 times the quality in a 35 mm film snap than you do from a pic from a 6.1 MP camera. i would use a digital cam too if i could afford one, but i can't, i have a scanner, and that's how i get my pics to the market, so to speak. so i asked about film cameras. :)

7. garzy macrumors regular

im working with an old f3/motor drive, the works right now for all my 35mm film work. those cameras are awesome. real professional equipment

in the studio ive been working with the hasselblads and phase one digital capture backs. they produce amazing images. nothing like the rinky dink images you get out your prosumer digital camera.

its cool to see there are some other photographers in these forums

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Olympus OM-1N was my favourite of all time.

I also had two other 35mm SLRs: a Minolta SRT Super (Japan only) and a Fujica ST-605 that were also manual. I now have an Olympus IS-20DLX--the point and shoot of SLRs and it's competent, but there's little creative about it.

9. Chad macrumors member

hmmmm

maybe in past canon F-1 elctronic ;)

a great old workhorse ;)
    and my first real camera 20 years ago

current camera Canon 1D
    and getting the 1Ds or wahtever pma brings ;)
    all L glass
    also selling all my nikonos gear ;)
    so another photographer here ;)
    tis my main living now photography

10. Choppaface macrumors 65816

for digital I've got a D1x, works really great, I've had really great prints from it even at super A3 size stock

if only it was 1:1 so I could get everything from the 14 f/2.8 :(

11. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Canon Rebel 2000. I paid close to nothing for it. :)

12. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

my grandpa gave me a canon eos 750, but the lens is broken, so until i fix it or get a new lens, im using my dad's canon eos 1000f, cause he doesn't really use it any more; he got an elph, and it's a lot easier to carry around. ithink they're nice cameras, and since i'm not really a photography nut, its just a hobby, they suit me fine.

13. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

My camera of choice would be a Minolta Dynax 505si Super with a 28-80mm lense, I'm about to buy a telephoto lense but so far the camera has been great.

In terms of digital cameras, I've got a couple of Kodak cameras but I only use them if the shot is not worth 35mm film, also if I need to see the photos straight away.

I generally get the film developed onto a CD in digital format.

14. charboneau macrumors member

I own a lomo . It's not what you use if you want sharp, clear pictures of your special moments, but it's great for random artistic pictures.