Photography

Discussion in 'Community' started by tazo, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Anyone else around here 'side from Eye & 'Mike, into photography?

I myself am into digital photography, since for a teen its much more cost effective on a ratio of shots taken to kept shots...

So is anyone else into photography, digital or not?

2. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Well, I am into photography at least a little.
    I am no pro, but I make above average pictures, and I think I have an eye ;) for good pics.

Looks like we will post some examples here?

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I like taking digital stills and digital videos too. I like photo editing. I'm learning video editing. That doesn't mean I'm any good at these efforts, just that I like them.

I'm still trying to find the best time of day, distance, angle, and lighting to get a worthy picture of the big hairy spider down the block from me. (See Giant Spider thread .)

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I dabble. I have posted some landscape shots from around Colorado on my website, I plan to start adding more.

This is one of my favorites, I liked the way that the dusk light was coloring everything.

edit- Visit my website and click on the pictures tab to view my galleries.

Attached Files:

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I enjoy photography. i busted my old Canon AE-1 just over a month ago. i took it to get some pics of my best friends and me at the capitol building in Austin the week before i had to leave for Oklahoma. when we were going home, my friend janani opened the door near the curb (we were parallel parked) and then sat down, as did my other two friends on the other side of my car. as a result, the door got caught on the curb, and i set the camera down on the roof to help her raise the door and shut it. heh, i forgot to pick it up. about 2 blocks later i came to a stop sign. we heard this screeching noise, then suddenly this big black thing came crashing down the windshield in front of me. in a flash, it slid across the hood and crashed/rolled out into the middle of the intersection. the lens filter had shattered inside the lens cover, and it was full of scratches, but seemed mostly ok at the time. when i examined it at home, though, one of the many impacts it sustained had cross-threaded the focus adjuster. as a result, you can't focus it anymore. the thing is banged up, but just needs a new 35 mm lens. i actually have a 100-300 mm zoom that fits it, and it works with that, but what idiot carries one of those around casually? so i ordered a canon powershot s230 a few weeks ago, and i am very impressed with the quality of images it takes, my crappy photography notwithstanding.

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

7. tazo thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

Yeah that'd be cool if we could share some examples, link to galleries, etc. Give us amateurs some tips :)

here is a gallery of some of my work:
    http://boycottbuymusic.com/photo

[I am in the process of designing a small site, so that the layout is not so primitive :p ]

8. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Attached Files:

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I used to take a lot more photographs than I do now, but once I can afford a high quality digital SLR (I'm hoping for something along the lines of a Canon EOS-10D) I think I'll get back into it. Still, there's nothing like silver halide for the purest form of the art.

Here is probably the best photograph I have ever taken. It was with my old Canon Rebel G on Kodak Tmax 400 film (an EXCELLENT silver black and white film).

Attached Files:

10. tazo thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

12. tazo thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Photography

ahem.....:rolleyes:

14. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i'm getting into it, been borrowing cameras a couple of times...

here 's what i've taken so far

15. tazo thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: Photography

Sorry...

Mike and Eye were the first people I thought of for photos on macrumors...

Evo,

'interesting' photos
    :p

16. iHambone macrumors newbie

I'm into it, when I have time.

http://homepage.mac.com/danieljreinagel/PhotoAlbum7.html

I picked up a digital camera a little over a year ago, and have really enjoyed it. I had always wanted to get into photography, but "life" gets in the way of the things we love sometimes.

I love the look of film! However, for the hobbiest like myself, the freedom digital give you is wonderful.

:)

17. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Yea. I used to have some stuff up at my website, but i'm reinstalling some php stuff, so it'll be down for awhile.

I started off when I was 12 on one of these. (a Nikon F Photomic T from the mid 60s

Bought a digital in 2000 (nikon coolpix 880) and soon graduated up to the D100 DSLR (which is the cat's ass for under 2k DSLRs).

It's become an obsession of sorts, as i'm now shooting it with a load of lenses: a Sigma 50mm 2.8 (the sharpest lens on the market according to many sites), a Sigma 70-300, a Nikon 80-200 2.8, a Nikon 18-35 3.5, a Nikon 28-80 3.3, a Sigma 105mm Macro 2.8 and a Nikon 50mm 1.8. I use a Nikon SB-50dx for external flash, and carry it all around in a couple of bags. It's a blast and super fun, and gets me out of my house/office and away from Cabin fever. :)

I have some images up at istockpro which will suffice as a sampling of my stuff until I get my site back up and running.

I've pretty much done it all photography wise-- from advertising shots for alcohol companies, weddings, travel photography, tabletop, lanscapes, and club shots/band shots (hence the fast primes).

I wanna get into medium format stuff soon, and hopefully someday soon get a nice digital back for a medium format. But we'll see. Amazes me, since i'm 100% self taught.

It really enhances my designs skills (i think) and gives me unlimited possibilities.

Anyway, i've rambled enough.

There's a ton of great shooters here... from Evo and Wardo (newbies to the scene it seems) to eye and mr. a (more advanced cats) to people who do some amazing work with entry level digitals.

It amazes me sometimes. :) and pushes me to go out and do more better work.

And remember, if anyone needs any pro-level custom shots for anything, lemme know. Unless you're Jello and want me to take pics of veggie hot dogs. ;)

18. tazo thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

Heh when I switched hosts I accidentally named the photo folder Photos

heh and I had the photos hidden within another subfolder...

but now it should work :)

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've dabbled on and off w/photography (usually time and money are my limiting factors). A few years ago my dad gave me his old Pentax Spotmatic. This baby is 30 years, completely manual/mechanical (the only thing that takes a battery is the light meter) and a lot of fun to shoot. Unfortunetly age is catching up w/her and somethings, namely the shutter and the light meter, just don't always work as they should. I'd love to grab a digital SLR but that is way over my budget unfortunetly. I recently (last week actually) got a good deal on a Canon s50 and I've pumped around 150 or so pix thru her so far and the more I learn how to operate her the more I like her. While not nearly as fun as an SLR this is more fun w/a point 'n shoot then I thought possible. I've liked to just a few of the pix I've taken. I really like using DOF and selective focus but that's hard w/a camera like this so I've started messing around more w/manipulating the apature and shutter speed.

link

The s50 is the first digital camera I've owned and I really like the instant feedback and being able to skip developing and scanning in my pix.

Lethal

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Check my homepage. I document all my outings with my digital camera.

21. Angelus macrumors 6502

I've started to get into photography this summer(bought my first camera in june).Some of my pics are a bit dodgy but then in some portraits i can perfectly capture the essence of the model which makes me feel all tingly and proud.
    Anyway i like to mess with floral photography too.Here's an example,it was shot with my minolta 7hi.
    Tell me what you think of it,although realise that it was originally shot at 2560x1920 and has been reduced to 520 by 390 to accomidate the file size restrictions

Attached Files:

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

very nice image, man. it would have been a bit nicer if you had got less of the black at the top and the rest of the flower at the bottom, but overall a very nice, in focus image.

23. tazo thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

Check out my small little gallery I set up to present a few photos I have taken:

I'd like some comments, constructive criticizm, hopefully no death threats ;)

24. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

You make it sound so tempting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.