photography

Discussion in 'Community' started by Royal Pineapple, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i notised that in the Please come together to introduce yourself to the community! thread, alot of people mentioned photography. i fuigured this might a good place to meet other people with the same intrests/ hobbby/ profesion. as well as show some work.

I for one am a 2nd year photography student at my private boarding school, our program is exelent, covering all aspects of traditional photography with a little digital work too. i have learned to process and print B&W film as well as the E6 color transperiency process for slide film. i have learned how to use a veraity of cameras from the simple 35mm. SLR to the 645 and 21/4 medium format, up through the 4x5 view camera. we have learned about product photography as well as modeling photography on our light table and sike (stage).

personally i like doing portrature as well as macro photography.

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I had my first taste of photography about 5 years ago when I decided to take an Intro to Photography class in college. Then I took almost that much time off while doing other things & pursuing other interests. I did manage to work in a 1 hour lab for nearly 2 years while I was in tech school getting my graphic design degree.

I just jumped back into photography with both feet first about 4 months ago. I think, for me, I was looking for a creative outlet since my current job (production artist) is pretty mundane :(. So I went out and bought a Nikon N65, nice midrange camera that has both manual & auto settings. I figured a versatile camera would be good for me to learn more.

I'm still learning different aspects of it all, and still have a lot to learn. I want to eventually have a showing of my work at an art gallery one day, which I am currently working on...he he he ;)

For those who are interested in seeing any of my work, go to www.istockphoto.com, then click on #5 Search. U can enter my name "eyelikeart" under the search by artist field. I'm open to any input u pros can offer...

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been an avid amateur photographer since about '86, still have my original Minolta 7000 camera, although I've been thinking of getting a new one someday soon. Digital imagery is becoming more and more a viable way to go, and when a SLR Digital camera with interchangeable lenses comes out that is affordable, I'll take the plunge.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I started off with a Minolta XE-5...a fully manual 35MM which is about 25 years old. Great camera...takes beautiful photos, but I needed something that could do it all. ;)

5. Royal Pineapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

Minoltas everywhere

i had a Minolta X-700, it was nice and durable, lasted for 15 years, but one day the shutter decided to jam:( so i bought a Cannon:D

6. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

ive been doing photography for a while now, and i think your work is mostly good, cept its a little too "sceneery oriented".. i mean, in the picture of the house, you may want to take different shots because it doesnt have too much of a "center point" - a main object of interest because the house itself is being overtaken by the objects around it.. try grabbing some differenmt angles...

i mean this is the best way, no hard feelings.. i think your work is good. :D

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I do some amateur photography, when I feel the urge. Most of the time, when I really get into the need, I go for black and white film. I develop my own negatives, since I have yet to find any lab that can do them properly. I picked up a scanner that can scan negatives, as well as regular images, last year and have scanned in some. I have to say, it is the balls. To be able to scan direct from the negative and do what I want, then then print it out is very nice.

Eventually, when I get a house, I will set up a black and white darkroom. Until then, I will process the negatives in the bathroom (no windows there) and then scan them. At least until I can get access to a photo lab where I can make the prints.

I favor T-Max film, with the ASA 100 being the most used, with sometimes grabbing a roll of the 400 speed. I have a roll of 25 speed AGFA film that I need to find something good to use on.

The reason I don't go much into color on my own, is I am color blind. It would be a bit odd to develop color prints and have them come out color-f*cked. :D Being color blind always made my paintings come out... different. :D

8. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I've been an amateur photographer for about 10 years now, slowly learning basic -- and some advanced -- techniques from books and other sources. I hope to take a course someday to increase my knowledge and get better feedback on my efforts, but currently don't have the time.

Started out with film, and have moved to digital with occasional use of film for specific subjects.

Film -- Canon Rebel
    Digital -- Canon D30

9. mr.w macrumors regular

Well if I weren't still in school, photography would be my life. I've been taking pictures since I was about 5 (I'm now 18) My first REAL camera was an old Nikkormat (about 9 years old). I've beeen taking B&W pictures ever since. I've just recently gotten into digital photography (I got a canon d30 last christmas), but still prefer my Mamiya AF645 <-- sweet camera, anyone who loves B&W photography must own a medium format camera. Haven't really started selling anything, but one of my friends dads own an art gallery here in Aspen and he said that if I were to take the time to print out and matt some of my work, he would display it. We'll see, I'm still a little shy about it all, (not sure if I want that much criticism yet).

And as I mentioned in my "getting to know you" thing, I'm going to either travel around Europe or Japan for a month next Spring taking tons of pictures (like a photojournalist thing)... still don't know which one I'd rather do.

10. big macrumors 65816

big

as a practicing "Architect" I like the houses. (I really like starry night eye) and umm, on my site I have about a million of shots of places, buildings etc like that, so don't worry.

There are venues for them yet.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm dabble in photography when I have the chance (not too much free time these days though). I shoot an old Pentex Spotmatic (it's 30 some-odd years old) that I love. Even though it's recently started going thru batteries (light meter) like non-other and the shutter jams open in cold weather (5 min outside in sub-35 degree temps is all I can get) I'm not ready to give her up yet.

I enjoy compositing in Photoshop and when ever I'm shooting I try to "think different" and capture images from odd/unique angles/persepectives. I'm also a huge sucker for using a short depth of field...

Lethal

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

firewire2001...

Thanks for the input. I'll keep in mind what u said about different angles for other shoots on which I go. I think for the ones u saw of the houses I was pretty limited because of the placement of the actual buildings. I'm really trying to get a better grasp of lighting & timing so I can start doing some really killer night shots.

big...

I'm glad u liked Starry Night. I actually did that using Freehand & Photoshop. I've used it a few times for desktops on my computers. ;)

13. Royal Pineapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

amen to that, meidum format is the way to go.
    mr.w, i'm seriouslly looking at buying the AF645, would you recomend it?

14. mr.w macrumors regular

I would highly recomend it... although, it is and automatic camera and I have been made fun of a bit because of that... but I don't care, it's a sweet camera. If you want to buy more of a traditional medium format camera, I'd go for either the regular mamiya 645 or a Hasselblad 501-Cm (the ones that now come in those colors). They are all really nice cameras. Although the Hasselblad camera uses zeiss lenses which are (i think) nicer then mamiya lenses. Contax also makes a really nice AF medium format camera (also the 645 AF) <- many say it's better then the Mamiya (I think they're about the same, tried both of them). Ultimetly it comes doen to personal preferance. I think the Mamiya is easier to use and also fits in my hands better making it more like a regular 35mm camera. Anyway... in short, yes, If you wish to buy an AF medium format camera, this is the one.

15. Royal Pineapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i cant afford a hassie, so i think i just might go with the miama, my couson has the contax