Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtstp17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
Scenario:

SD memory card was connected to iMac (yosemite). Images/videos (~800) were imported to the Photos App. Afterwards, the sd card was ejected and then wiped.

Issue:

I went back to check on the 800 or so images and videos and they are not in the Photos App. However, pictures and videos from another a previous and later imports are showing up.

I checked the package contents of the Photos App. I checked the masters folder and I found the folders with the date I imported them on. However, all the folders are empty besides thumbnails of the actual pictures.

Where did my pictures go?!

I tried doing a repair on the photos app (command + option key) but that did restore the pictures.

Please help!! Any solutions are welcome. I am stressing over losing these pictures.

mrnorwegian

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Oslo
Not sure about what happened in Photos, but word of advice: Don´t use the SD card as recovery software may be able to recover something from it.

Check album -> Recently deleted photos. Anything there? (this might require iCloud Photo Library, not sure)

Are you using Time Machine? Might be able to recover something from there.

Are you using iCloud Photo Library or photo stream? Apple might be able to recover something from there if they where uploaded before they vanished.

Someone on this forum probably has advice on recovery software you can run on the SD card to see if the pictures can be rescued.

Do the thumbnail filenames contain the names of the original files? If so do a spotlight search on the filename to see if the originals are on you hard drive somewhere.

Last edited:

jtstp17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
Not sure about what happened in Photos, but word of advice: Don´t use the SD card as recovery software may be able to recover something from it.

Check album -> Recently deleted photos. Anything there? (this might require iCloud Photo Library, not sure)

Are you using Time Machine? Might be able to recover something from there.

Are you using iCloud Photo Library or photo stream? Apple might be able to recover something from there if they where uploaded before they vanished.

Someone on this forum probably has advice on recovery software you can run on the SD card to see if the pictures can be rescued.

Do the thumbnail filenames contain the names of the original files? If so do a spotlight search on the filename to see if the originals are on you hard drive somewhere.

i appreciate all your suggestions!

i tried all and nothing work. So i investigated SD recovery software. I found CardRaider from Ecamm. $20. It found all the photos and videos even with the SD card being reformatted!

Thanks again for your help.

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
One of the reasons I just won't use Apple software for my photos any more. In my years working retail / service for Apple I have seen countless issues with iPhoto / Aperture databases resulting in clients losing their data.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
One of the reasons I just won't use Apple software for my photos any more. In my years working retail / service for Apple I have seen countless issues with iPhoto / Aperture databases resulting in clients losing their data.

So you were one of the happy, cheerful and smiling faces behind Apple retail? Who would have guessed. ;)

Reactions: Grey Beard

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I have seen countless issues with iPhoto / Aperture databases resulting in clients losing their data.
Totally agrees with my experience as a long time Aperture user. The data base can be pretty flaky at times and the tools to repair it are weak, at best. I've since moved away from Apple's photo's apps other than for syncing to iOS devices.

To the OP, never wipe a card before you check your last import.

Reactions: LV426

jtstp17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
Totally agrees with my experience as a long time Aperture user. The data base can be pretty flaky at times and the tools to repair it are weak, at best. I've since moved away from Apple's photo's apps other than for syncing to iOS devices.

To the OP, never wipe a card before you check your last import.

agree. but software ended up recovering all the videos and pictures!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.