Photos Blurry in iMovie 6?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ingenious, Feb 13, 2007.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I'm trying to create kind of a photo slideshow in iMovie 6 for a presentation, but any photo I import becomes blurry once it's placed on the timeline! If I preview it, it's fine, but that transfer to the timeline seems to do it.

Why?

Any ideas or fixes?

The slideshow's clear in iPhoto, but I need iMovie's more advanced features...

Thanks!

2. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

What are your playback settings set to? Also, have you seen what they look like after you finish the movie and burn it to a dvd?

3. aj98 macrumors member

iMovie takes your (comparatively) hi-rez digital photos and converts then down to NTSC resolution.

This will make both your source video and stills look fuzzy on your computer screen, but will be great on your TV once the disk is burned.

(It's probably the hardest mental adjustment I had to make when I started working with iMovie/iDVD.)

4. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    So the black bars all around the photos are to make them TV-safe?

5. aj98 macrumors member

TV safe area is an option you can set within iMovie/iDVD - I think it automatically centers unless you specify otherwise.

The aspect ratio of your photos is probably not the same as your TV.
    a 3x5" is 1:1.6, a landscape 4x6 is 2:3, portrait is 3:2, etc, whereas a standard TV is 4:3 and widescreen is 16:9.

My guess would be the photos are being scaled to fit the particular aspect ratio for your project, which in some cases, may put black bars on 2 or all 4 sides.

You may consider creating your slideshow from within iDVD as opposed to iMovie.

I say that b/c if you create the slideshow in iMovie, it merges the photo into a .MOV. I don't think iDVD does that.