Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErnestPWorrell

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Your link proves that such a product already exists and nothing else, and I don't see any mention of Apple stating they invented it, nor do I see any mention on the Amazon page of anything to do with who/when/what etc.
Just wait until the reveal. It's going to be very "we" heavy on that part. I'll give you a $5 Amazon card if I end up being wrong.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
if orange was the new black, darkness (which is generally blackness) would be orange, and since you'd need to have a light source to know it was orange, you wouldn't be struggling...

:p

:rolleyes:
It's a show...not sure if you tried to make a joke but..okay.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Convenient that you added that *after* I started typing my post.

Ah, sorry - my remote Desktop connection to your computer seems to have failed, so I can't actually see when you were typing. Perhaps if you'd screencasted it, together with a time stamp and a video of you sitting next to a copy of today's paper, you'd have a case... what's MORE likely is that I am not a completely horrid, offensive person, and I added that </sarcasm> tag very quickly afterwards, to save myself from appearing like a total goon, especially in response to hyper sensitive reactionary folk.

If you'd send me the screencast of you typing your reply, perhaps we can resolve this?

----------

It's a show...not sure if you tried to make a joke but..okay.

Tried was the word, and I failed :D

----------

Just wait until the reveal. It's going to be very "we" heavy on that part. I'll give you a $5 Amazon card if I end up being wrong.

Would you mind if I shredded it on camera? I detest Amazon - or you could do it? :)

[EDIT]

In all sincerity, I appreciate the kind gesture; thank you :)

Last edited:

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I will NEVER understand how people's cords end up becoming torn and frayed. I had the same 30-pin cable at my desk for YEARS and it was still in new condition when I replaced it with my lightning cable last year, which also shows no signs of damage.

Maybe don't treat your stuff like s*** and it will stay in good condition?

Maybe not everyone sits on their ass at a desk all day long for YEARS.
:D

----------

Your link proves that such a product already exists and nothing else, and I don't see any mention of Apple stating they invented it......

The very first post talks about a patent that Apple applied for for a reversible USB plug.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Maybe not everyone sits on their ass at a desk all day long for YEARS.
:D

----------

You should look closer.
The very first post talks about a patent that Apple applied for for a reversible USB plug.

NorthRimMules.jpg

There's a lot of money to be made from people sitting on asses.

blouis79

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
Since the beginning, the Apple cables in our family that have died:
a. iBook power cable, due to teenager abuse - severe bending and small strain relief
b. MacBook Pro magsafe power cable - small strain relief + force required to disconnect
c. iPhone cable - cable sheath material seem to get eaten by partner's hands ??skin acid or skin cream residues

The reversible USB connector seems a potentially flaky engineering solution to the poorly designed USB connector shell, which really just needs a raised dot or texture ribbing or something on one side for orientation by feel.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The problem is when you reach around the back of a computer to plug something in. Even if I know which side of the cable connector is "up," which side of the socket is "up?" What if the machine or socket is on its side?

Since the beginning, the Apple cables in our family that have died:
a. iBook power cable, due to teenager abuse - severe bending and small strain relief
b. MacBook Pro magsafe power cable - small strain relief + force required to disconnect
c. iPhone cable - cable sheath material seem to get eaten by partner's hands ??skin acid or skin cream residues

The reversible USB connector seems a potentially flaky engineering solution to the poorly designed USB connector shell, which really just needs a raised dot or texture ribbing or something on one side for orientation by feel.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

You can always add that yourself with a dot of Elmer's glue or rubber cement.

paulrustad101

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Here here......

And, yet, 100's of millions of Lightning cables haven't failed.

How can that be?

Such is the nature of anecdotal evidence common on these threads.

In California, some 12 (probably even a few more) people were struck by lightning during storms in the last month. Nobody writes about the 38 million that weren't struck.

Spot on.

Fozfan33

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
Ah, so now, it's yours that has an issue.

Earlier on, you stated that "the current ones are poorly made and rip apart after a few months".

Which is it?

FWIW, I've got several Lightning cables here at home. One of them is that one that came with my launch day iPhone 5 and lives next to my bed.

It's used every night. Some nights it charges my 5S and some nights my iPad Air, but either way, it's been used every night for nearly 2 years and looks like it did when I took it out of the phone's box and plugged it in to the charger.

I've also got a couple of (genuine) cables that sit under the side table next to the sofa.

Again, those were ordered and delivered on launch day with my iPhone 5 (note-NOT 5s) and they are used again to charge my Air and my 5S.

Guess what? Nothing wrong with those either.

Wow... I guess since you only use your cables at home in one very specific way and you haven't had any problems then that means nobody else in the world can have a different experience huh? Or if they say they do then they must be a liar. Some people commute and take cables with them. My cable that I used in my car just shredded on me. My cable that sits by my bed and charges at night is good as new. Both cases can be true, and apple should have designed a cable that could take the wear and tear of everyday life... People commute, people are gone and charge on the go, people are forced to plug in at work... A cable should be able to handle that without being put in bubble wrap after you're done.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
My cable that I used in my car just shredded on me.

You see, here's where your story falls down.

It didn't "just shred on you". You simply didn't take good enough care of it and because of that it started to come apart.

You have also proven that the cables, when treated well, do last (as the one by your bed is testament to).

Fozfan33

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
You see, here's where your story falls down.

It didn't "just shred on you". You simply didn't take good enough care of it and because of that it started to come apart.

You have also proven that the cables, when treated well, do last (as the one by your bed is testament to).

Sorry, there's no "story" ...I took fine care of it, it was just used under different circumstances. You imply cables can only be used in a home setting where they are plugged and unplugged once per day. Congratulations on having a life where that is your reality. I expect wear and tear but it's obvious that the lightning cables are lacking durability. But hey, you'll never think that because you take perfect care of your cables so they will last you until the end of days. Peace out bro. Have fun with your superiority complex it will get you far in life.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Dont think so !

U cant just change the plug and make it reversible .. The port has to also a accommodate that.
And if apple makes this exclusive to apple... Then there will be incompatibility with other devises with regular usb ports... Like car chargers .. Etc.

It will work just fine with the usual USB port. If you take a close look at your USB port, you will notice a plastic chip in the port. As long as the plastic chip fits in the USB cable it will work just like any other cable with the added benefit of bing reversible.

----------

What about a early 2011 macbook pro will they work with 2.0?

It will work with all recent USB ports. The made the middle part thinner so you can plug it in from any direction.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Been using the same lightning cable that came with my 5 years ago. It stays plugged into an iPad charger and is the sole charging cable for two iPad Airs, two iPods and my 5s and never had a single problem with it. It have looked closely at it and it still looks like new. All my other cables are new and have never need removed from the box.

People who say they have gone though multiple cables are not doing something right

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Sorry, there's no "story" ...I took fine care of it, it was just used under different circumstances. You imply cables can only be used in a home setting where they are plugged and unplugged once per day. Congratulations on having a life where that is your reality. I expect wear and tear but it's obvious that the lightning cables are lacking durability. But hey, you'll never think that because you take perfect care of your cables so they will last you until the end of days. Peace out bro. Have fun with your superiority complex it will get you far in life.

You see, there is a story, and the story is that your Lightning cable "just shredded" on you.

It didn't, that's made up (a story). A bit like human combustion, it doesn't just happen.

If you treated your cable(s) with care, they wouldn't become torn and exposed, but they absolutely don't "just shred".

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Been using the same lightning cable that came with my 5 years ago. It stays plugged into an iPad charger and is the sole charging cable for two iPad Airs, two iPods and my 5s and never had a single problem with it. It have looked closely at it and it still looks like new. All my other cables are new and have never need removed from the box.

People who say they have gone though multiple cables are not doing something right

I treat mine not well. Fly all around the globe for work, and I keep three or four in my gadget bag with power adapters, batteries, etc. Just toss them in. I also have one I use in my car, one at work, one by my nightstand, one by sofa (I code in my spare time, so it's always useful to be able to connect it to Xcode). My 5 year old has one for the old iPhone we gave her, and I assure you she doesn't know how to properly care for cables - sometimes I see her pretending it's a ribbon. My wife has a couple for her I-devices.

Never had a lighting cable fail.

Now, the MagSafes, on the other hand...

qwerty12601

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
All of Apple's cables do that, because they design them without proper strain relief (they think it looks ugly, and it does, but it also doesn't turn brown and shred itself).

Lightning cables do this, Thunderbolt cables, MagSafe cables, 30-pin cables too. I have A MagSafe cable which is about a year old, replaced once already and is held together with tape (despite the high power being transferred). Meanwhile, I have an old-style 30-pin connector with the holding fins and an honest-to-goodness strain relief; I got it with my 5G iPod and it's still immaculate after nearly a decade of use (with other products).

I can't believe there hasn't been a class-action suit about this yet. Almost every Apple customer will experience it.

There was a redditor who worked at Apple saying that Engineering had repeatedly asked for strain reliefs on the cables but we're overruled by the Design department.

Precisely. Apple has had nothing but problems with connectors for years now. That's why they changed the design of the magsafe connector, which by the way still sucks. I've been through 4 on my 09 mbp. 2 of the t design, 2 of the new design. Just moving the unit with it plugged in damages the connector. It has nothing to do with "user error".

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA

Years ago... Come on, the iPhone 5 hasn't even been out for 2 years.

qwerty12601

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
I work in Apple retail myself. And registered here just to call out your comment.

If you actually work in retail, you will know they don't just "stop working". They wire comes loose under the wire housing near the lightning connector.

This is for one of two reason. Either the cable is mishandled by tugging the cable to remove it from an iDevice, rather than using the white nib to remove it.

Or, when people are storing the cables, they are not cable tying them correctly (if at all), and the cable is receiving too much strain. Typical example is just stuffing a cable into a handbag.

If you genuinely work at an Apple store, and you're also having lightning cable issues, I would maybe book yourself in for an appointment at the bar and speak to one of your colleagues (because you obviously haven't already) and get yourself educated to manage your cables better. I would be very surprised if you are having lightning cable issues and you work at an Apple store.

Also, saying "very, very lucky" almost proves to me you don't work at an Apple store, of the tens of millions of lightning cables that are in the wild, and the portion that comes back into your store, i would say you have to be extremely, extremely unlucky to have an issue. Let alone an employee.
You have to be kidding. "Cable tying them correctly"?? Most consumers aren't electricians, and would know or understand how to properly store an electrical cable.

But that's neither here nor there. The lightning cable is sub par. They fail for numerous reasons, and there's no excuse for it. They're too delicate, and should not break under normal consumer use. And its wide spread, regardless of what you're hypothesis is on proving its not. I don't own an iPhone, but the majority of people I know do. And they're always searching for a working charger, because their cables are broken. It seems to be a near 100% fail rate. Cheesy aftermarket cables hold up better than the OEM ones!

And fwiw, my micro USB cables for my nexus hold up to being rippednout of the charging connector, out of the phone etc, and seem to always work fine. I don't " cable tie" them. I don't baby them, I just use them.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
With the EU wanting to standardise mobile connectors and from what I've seen of the new USB design, I can easily see the reversible USB connector becoming he standard for mobile connectors. It even looks like Lightning yet it's a standard connection.

Ironically, the EU has *already* standardized mobile phone charger connectors, and this isn't it. They standardized on USB 2.0 'micro' on the phone, and USB on the charger. Moving to this new USB design so quickly would almost completely destroy the gains they made with the existing charger standardization.

dustininsf

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
a solution!

For everyone who complains of Apple Lightning Cable issues, I have a solution for you:

Get the Apple Lightning to Micro USB Adapter. It's $17.99-19.99 depending on where you buy it. It is vitally important that you suck it up and buy the authentic Apple one, and don't accept any knock-offs.

Why? The Apple version has all of their magic lightning juju in it that makes it work without hiccup or fail. It has the added benefit that it will stick on the end of a Micro-USB cable and stay on it *really well.* Now, you can use whatever micro-usb cable you have - want a long/short/blue/black/clear/white one? have at it. I bet you have at least a handful of them lying around.

The Apple adapter is really well-constructed. It's not gonna be the thing that breaks from using your device while charging… the cheap-o micro-usb cable will be the sacrifice. And you can replace those cheaply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.