Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Look at the keyboard. It's clearly a very early MBP from 2006-07.

As written in the article.

I really like the idea of them experimenting with this so long ago; hopefully when they do introduce 3G connectivity to a MacBook it will be very well done!

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Look at the keyboard. It's clearly a very early MBP from 2006-07.

Regardless, it's likely Apple does have a prototype somewhere in Apple HQ that has 3G capabilities. It's too convenient of an upgrade for them not to include it someday in my opinion. They just have to work with carriers to do something about these tiny data caps... Verizon's data caps are manageable, but far too expensive.

ciociosan

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Lund, Sweden
assuming they opted out of this particular antenna design, i wonder what they're exploring instead?

i can see it now:

You're typing on your computer the wrong way.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
A lot of folks around these parts seem to be missing this little factoid. Why would I want to shell out extra for a 2nd data plan and shell out extra for hardware I don't even need ? Everywhere I go that I might need "3G on the MBA", well, there is my trusty iPhone in my pocket to set it up for me.

I've had 3G on my Macs since I've had my iPhone 3GS.

easier to use phone and mac at same time when they're on separate systems.

with mywi it was relatively easy but a non-jailbroken phone using handylight makes it challenging.

I tried it for a while and never did like the bugginess of being jailbroken.

and for those who: "I've never had bugginess, you must have .... " just ... be quiet.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
This. Although I'll wager that a lot of average users don't know about or understand tethering.

Agree... Apple usually does things right... I use a ipad wi-fi and tether because my provider charges me more for 2 devices on the same plan... it's inconvenient, and as you mentioned the avg user doesn't understand it.

The right way is probably to have all mobile devices data/cell enabled with gps.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
simply wrong

This is a prototype from 2007, before 3g was in like...any laptops

My older Dell Latitude D620 has Verizon EVDO 3G built-in. Dell's warranty lookup lists a shipping date of June 2006 for that serial number.

The antenna is concealed behind a small part of edge of the top cover that's plastic instead of magnesium.

Fuzzi

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2009
In 10.7 Apple added a few new NSURL related error codes in the foundation.framework. This might not be evidence, and may be meant for third party adapters... but who knows....

#if MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_7 <= MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED
NSURLErrorInternationalRoamingOff = kCFURLErrorInternationalRoamingOff,
NSURLErrorCallIsActive = kCFURLErrorCallIsActive,
NSURLErrorDataNotAllowed = kCFURLErrorDataNotAllowed,
NSURLErrorRequestBodyStreamExhausted = kCFURLErrorRequestBodyStreamExhausted,
#endif

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Why so much hate towards the antenna.

Are people only interested in looks rather than functionality?

If you were sat on a train with your invisible integrated antenna cursing that you could get no 3G connectivity you would be very jealous of the man sat opposite with his antenna sticking up laughing while he's watching youtube.

Come on, antennas NEED to be stuck up. Anything less is a compromise and reception will suffer because of it. If you want reliable 3G data you need a decent antenna.

Look at all the complaints about the iPhone4 because it lost signal when you touched it in a certain way. Wouldn't have been a problem if they could have had a decent antenna stuck up.

As with any antenna, bigger, higher and unobstructed is always better.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
and? Not like anyone who needs it would read it.

It was a quick typo and as such its the internet, everyone uses slang or doesn't spell everything correctly all the time. It's not an essay.

Otherwise we could pick up your post which starts with a single worded question without a capital letter etc etc...

Does it really matter that much...

Edit: No excuse though I suppose, if sending a letter for example I would expect it to be perfect. :) Personally I struggle slightly with it due to being dyslexic

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Why so much hate towards the antenna.

Are people only interested in looks rather than functionality?

If you were sat on a train with your invisible integrated antenna cursing that you could get no 3G connectivity you would be very jealous of the man sat opposite with his antenna sticking up laughing while he's watching youtube.

Come on, antennas NEED to be stuck up. Anything less is a compromise and reception will suffer because of it. If you want reliable 3G data you need a decent antenna.

Look at all the complaints about the iPhone4 because it lost signal when you touched it in a certain way. Wouldn't have been a problem if they could have had a decent antenna stuck up.

As with any antenna, bigger, higher and unobstructed is always better.

Interesting you mention looks. It seems apple view looks more important than functionality quite often. Lets face it the iPhone 4 antenna design is pretty hopeless however you look at it... it still gets low signal strength etc.. I know we are all over the whole antenna thing now.. but I still have that issue sometimes (Tesco don't help though... pretty poor signal from them all the time)

The magic mouse in my opinion looks good but it feels horrible...hurts my hand trying to use it for more than 2 minutes.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
It was a quick typo and as such its the internet, everyone uses slang or doesn't spell everything correctly all the time. It's not an essay.

Otherwise we could pick up your post which starts with a single worded question without a capital letter etc etc...

Does it really matter that much...

Edit: No excuse though I suppose, if sending a letter for example I would expect it to be perfect. :) Personally I struggle slightly with it due to being dyslexic

Listen buddy, I wasn't the one who corrected anyone, so don't put words in my mouth. In fact I'm probably the last one to do so.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
In 10.7 Apple added a few new NSURL related error codes in the foundation.framework. This might not be evidence, and may be meant for third party adapters... but who knows....

#if MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_7 <= MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED
NSURLErrorInternationalRoamingOff = kCFURLErrorInternationalRoamingOff,
NSURLErrorCallIsActive = kCFURLErrorCallIsActive,
NSURLErrorDataNotAllowed = kCFURLErrorDataNotAllowed,
NSURLErrorRequestBodyStreamExhausted = kCFURLErrorRequestBodyStreamExhausted,
#endif

Nice catch

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
World Domination?

Will Apple eventually be provider of everything "tech"?

1) My computer is a Mac
2) I am watching more videos from iTunes via Apple TV (plan to dump cable)
3) I purchase my music from iTunes
4) Logic and Aperture and iLife/iWork are the only Apps I use
5) Mail and Web are via Mac/Apple SW
6) I plan to buy an iPad and iPhone

The "final frontiers":
1) My TV is not made by Apple (rumors of Apple TV)
2) My external drives are not made by Apple (but Time Capsule already exists)
3) My ISP is not Apple (will Apple buy an ISP company?)
4) My phone service is not Apple (will Apple buy a phone provider?)
5) My home music system is not Apple (Apple tried but failed at home stereo)

At least my toilet is safe for the time being....and it's already white. ;)

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Listen buddy, I wasn't the one who corrected anyone, so don't put words in my mouth. In fact I'm probably the last one to do so.

No, but you mentioned is an uphill battle to be the grammar police. Like I said, when people post online they are not making sure everything's perfect like they would an essay.

Some errors like that are not as bad as what a lot of internet users would use, 4 example dis which iz very anoyin ye? 4get bad spelin mistakes dis is wats truly anoyin

I hate that :S

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Pretty cool, albeit ugly. Looks like something that belongs on a PowerBook, not an '07 MBP. Integrated cellular data is coming... sometime. Just like blu-ray :D

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
It might not be the prettiest when extended, but i bet it WORKS.

Form over function though wins today. But where I attempt to tether on Friday mornings means creative phone placement.... I'm not thinking I'd have that with that big antenna.

And, I too would rather have that than a dongle or a card sticking out.

But I also wouldn't pay extra for it in my laptop either.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Apple hasn't added 3G to laptops because they launched the iPad. They want you to own both laptop and iPad. All for greed, as usual.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Apple hasn't added 3G to laptops because they launched the iPad. They want you to own both laptop and iPad. All for greed, as usual.

I don't think that is a reason... the iPad is a completely different experience to a macbook. It's meant to be super portable long lasting battery quick and easy to get online and play games etc and basically consume....

I don't think the reason why there is no 3G in a macbook is because of the iPad, that seems silly to me.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Wow people, you're presented an honest-to-goodness Apple prototype MacBook with built-in 3G and all you can talk about is what the antenna looks like?! It's like a scene straight out of Idiocracy.

It's a PROTOTYPE!

You slap on an antenna and get the hardware working, then you spend a year engineering a built-in antenna that fits and works within the casing. This stuff does not happen overnight, and you certainly don't go through all the internal work shoving components around when you don't even have a working feature yet.

Looks don't even weigh into it. I feel like few people around here appreciate the amount of work that goes into making things look as sleek as Apple's final products.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
In before people who don't read say it's ugly

This is a prototype from 2007, before 3g was in like...any laptops

Edit: I lost, first post is just that

3G was already in many laptops in 2007.

Just to name a few...
Samsung Q40
Panasonic ToughBook CF-W5
Toshiba Portege R400
Dell XPS M1210
HP Compaq nc6400
Fujistu computers

And many many others. 2007 is when it started to be common place for computers to have 3G built in not, "from 2007, before 3g was in like...any laptops"

Apple is definitely lagging behind when it comes to 3G laptops, but I'm sure when they do it they'll do it right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.