Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Using the same PCB design is very common, the raspberry pi board has the same thing for its A and B models. Any rerouting of traces necessary is done with zero ohm resistors. Open up an electronic device and you often see 'optional' parts of the PCB that we're never occupied by components.

Keeps cost down due to higher numbers produced (although this hardly applies to Apple as they do only big numbers anyway) and only 1 part to keep in stock, makes perfect sense.

As Apple makes both the A6 and A7 SoCs it's easy for them to make sure the same pinout is kept. I think it's very likely now to be an A6 for this reason.

You can't compare it to a hobbyist board that has a run in the tens of thousands (or low 100k's) to a board that has a run in the ten millions in a much higher margin device. Any extra design effort is trivial at that point. For the same reason, sticking to the same pin out every generation would be needlessly prohibitive. Intel is changing at least every other generation.

I think their similarity of shape is mostly driven by common enclosure design and multiple common parts. The pin outs may be identical incidentally, especially if A7 is a swift revision, but there's no need to keep it the same to save a couple hundred man hours on board design. Packaging design and validation would actually be the much larger hit there.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
You people act like there is no one in the USA walking around with a $300 phone. Well, you're right in one regard, the AVERAGE person has a phone that cost much LESS than that! 5C could surpass 5S sales.

Heh, I'm not in the USA. All the discussions here about contracts and subsidies are pointless to me - I'm under the same carrier for more than 10 years, and what I get is a discount in the monthly fees, not cheaper phones every two years; I don't even have the option of having that discount in phone price.

Here and in countries like here is where I believe the iPhone 5C will be the most successful; and of course, I expect Apple to have planned it as such.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Hardware is not relevant

Ofcourse the design of the logic board is identical. The production lines should be as unified as possible to keep cost low.

Let's face it, hardware specs (the inside) are not really the issue. Every company, including Samsung can simply choose to use different chips for different performance specs and power consumption.

It makes no difference if you choose a 1GB RAM package or 2GB. The layout stays the same. Same is true for the SoC and the radio chips and amplifiers.

Those are all bought from Qualcom or similar, regardless of who you are.
Apple is shopping at the same market as everyone else.

The more interesting distinction is display quality, the external casing and the compromise between power and battery life, i.e CPU MHz, GPU cores and so forth.

The fact that both parts look the same is not really an indication of the choice of parts operating in these two models.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If the iPhone 5C is for China only then it's most likely a 5S or 5 with tweaked software that would only work on China Mobile's out of the norm system. So no software may be possible because it might not have hardware for anywhere else.

Oh and rumors about the iPhone 6 started like 4 months ago

First, I made one big joke (built upon a lot of typical truths).

Second, can you imagine the backlash if the 5C is limited to a few countries based on how much such countries can pay. Sure, this occurs with a lot of products but I doubt Apple would enjoy the negative publicity of appearing to show much more favorable pricing bias to some countries not named the U.S.

We'll see soon enough. But I hope Apple hasn't made that kind of decision.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
RE: iPhone 6

Apple could easily build a very high-end iPhone 6 right know to show off at internal management and investor meetings.

The most limiting factor is the supply chain for the parts.

You have to understand that Apple is selling millions within the first few weeks after the product is introduced. That means that suppliers have to be able to deliver fingerprint sensors, displays, casings and all the rest in large quantities.

Apple was able to innovate more quickly at the beginning, because they did not need to ship worldwide from day one.

The original iPhone was only available in the US and following countries were added much more slowly.

Today, each new iPhone needs to be available in lots of countries worldwide.
That limits innovation in my opinion.

Apple should probably increase margins and even introduce an even more exclusive high end device, stating that it will not be available at day one everywhere.

They could pull that of, I'm sure.

PS: It's a bit off-topic, but I think its relevant if you consider the similarities between the 5C/5S

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
Apple could easily build a very high-end iPhone 6 right know to show off at internal management and investor meetings.

The most limiting factor is the supply chain for the parts.

You have to understand that Apple is selling millions within the first few weeks after the product is introduced. That means that suppliers have to be able to deliver fingerprint sensors, displays, casings and all the rest in large quantities.

Apple was able to innovate more quickly at the beginning, because they did not need to ship worldwide from day one.

The original iPhone was only available in the US and following countries were added much more slowly.

Today, each new iPhone needs to be available in lots of countries worldwide.
That limits innovation in my opinion.

Apple should probably increase margins and even introduce an even more exclusive high end device, stating that it will not be available at day one everywhere.

They could pull that of, I'm sure.

PS: It's a bit off-topic, but I think its relevant if you consider the similarities between the 5C/5S

There is always people who can afford and willing to pay a premium to "live in the future," having the latest greatest, for maybe half a year ahead of everyone else.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I had every iPhone since the iPhone 3G - and I had it always on launch day. I never every had the urge to get in line for it - No device has what it takes to get me in line. Yes, I want it on launch day, that is why I pre-order. I always pre-order if possible so that I have it on launch day delivered to my door step without standing in line. I have better things to do than to spend my time in line waiting for something that I can get also delivered at the same time to my door step.

Wow that's really smart.Wish I'd thought of it.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I think only China will get the 5C; everywhere else will get the 5S.

I'm not so sure. There are a lot of people here in the UK still clinging to iPhone 3GS's and 4's because the prepaid market here is huge and many people cannot afford to go and spend £500 on an unlocked iPhone 5.

A 5C would shift a lot of units here if priced correctly. I for one would be first in line. My iPhone 4S died and I was in such a tight spot I've had to switch to a cheap Android handset. I flat out refuse to go on to a contract because here in England, sometimes they're way more expensive that prepaid plans.

I'm desperate to get back onto iOS just for the ecosystem and well, because I prefer it but I'm not signing my life into a 24 month contract or handing over £500. £2-300 for a 5C however and I'm all over it.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I'd agree with that. Seems like Apple had to make some concessions to China Mobile in terms of hardware, but not software.

I think only China will get the 5C; everywhere else will get the 5S.

Why should Apple limit their markets ... makes no sense.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Second, can you imagine the backlash if the 5C is limited to a few countries based on how much such countries can pay.

1. This would be more a limitation based on tech. China Mobile uses unique tech that no other company does anymore.

2. China is a huge grey market for iDevices. At huge markups. The pay issue would be more the carrier side. Apple doesn't want to build devices, particularly unique ones, with serious volume to reduce costs. Carriers don't want to invest huge money upfront in case of failure cause all sales are final.

----------

Not their style. Plus huge security risk.

----------

so will they both have an A7 processor?

Out of the office for a couple of days. Will get back to you on Tuesday. Hugs and kisses, Timmy Cook

----------

Why should Apple limit their markets ... makes no sense.

China Mobile, which is the likely target if this 5C is a special model, has like half a billion subscribers. If they snagged 1/5 of that group it far exceeds global sales for a whole year. Might even be more than all the iPhones sold ever.

Sounds like a good reason to cater to their needs.

Bibbler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
The Mon Valley!
I had every iPhone since the iPhone 3G - and I had it always on launch day. I never every had the urge to get in line for it - No device has what it takes to get me in line. Yes, I want it on launch day, that is why I pre-order. I always pre-order if possible so that I have it on launch day delivered to my door step without standing in line. I have better things to do than to spend my time in line waiting for something that I can get also delivered at the same time to my door step.

Well, I've had every iPhone since the very 1st one and I've stood in line a few times. Why? It was an event, It's something to do with some great people...

I also went to see Kid Rock, Uncle Cracker, and ZZ Top last night, although, using your reasoning, I could of just turned on the radio...

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
China Mobile, which is the likely target if this 5C is a special model, has like half a billion subscribers. If they snagged 1/5 of that group it far exceeds global sales for a whole year. Might even be more than all the iPhones sold ever.

Sounds like a good reason to cater to their needs.

Misunderstanding. Why would Apple NOT sell the 5C here?
Limiting sales here would be stupid.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Couldn't this just mean that the logic board we saw months ago was for the 5c and not the 5s?

Possibly but from an engineering standpoint you would want the circuit boards to be as near identical as possible. Ideally any differences would be in firmware and external devices. The chips used might vary a bit but would likely have the same foot print.

----------

Strange! I milk every iPhone for all it is worth. I'm still running an iPhone 4 which works fine.

As to what the new phones will have I think you are greatly underestimating just what goodness will be in the new phones. Even then I'm in no rush to replace my iPhone 4. Right now I'm waiting on a new iPad.

I've bought every new iPhone the day they were released since the original, I think, and you know... I'm just not positive the 5S (or 5C) is going to have what it takes to get me to line up on day 1. It just seems so good already, and with iOS 7, it's going to feel like a brand new device.

We shall see! And who am I kidding, I'll most likely get one. :rolleyes:

----------

You need to get over the idea that plastic means cheap.

Each new leak the past few days...this makes the most sense...why would apple cheap the iPhone down to plastic in the US? It is surely to meet demands for a large smart phone market in china.

...Apple did this once before...the original iPhone (Edge, no 3G) had a mostly aluminum back, but they couldn't get a 3G signal to work with it, so they made the back plastic...until they found a way to put the antenna on the outside. Perhaps china has different type of signal where the antenna works best inside plastic (for now).

I'm betting this:

Tuesday 10th in US Apple announces new iPhone 5S w/iOS 7...but nothing about 5C
Wednesday 11th in China Apple announces new iPhone 5C w/iOS 7...but nothing about 5S

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Well, I've had every iPhone since the very 1st one and I've stood in line a few times. Why? It was an event, It's something to do with some great people...

I also went to see Kid Rock, Uncle Cracker, and ZZ Top last night, although, using your reasoning, I could of just turned on the radio...

With great people? If you're in line for a phone that's going to be readily available on all carriers, you're surrounded by people that don't have anything better to do

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003

Great music for sure but I'd rather listen to the radio. You see I don't have a huge tolerance for some of the personalities at these events. Maybe standing in line works for you but it doesn't work with me. I did that once - never again, the last iPad I bought I waited months until the local supply allowed me to pick one up at the store.

----------

Limiting sales here would be stupid.

We aren't even sure what the 5C is yet. However if Apple has a China Mobile deal it may be a phone specifically designed for the peculiarities of China Mobiles cell phone system. So in reality they may be expanding sales with the device.

----------

With great people? If you're in line for a phone that's going to be readily available on all carriers, you're surrounded by people that don't have anything better to do

That is often the case. Like I said above I did it once and won't be doing it again. My time is valuable for one. Second you are as you say often surrounded by people with nothing better to do. It simply isn't a good environment.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

The rumors are that the 5C is just the 5S with the antennae changed out to the ones that China Mobile (and no one else) support.

In which case, there is no reason to sell it 'here' because the tech isn't supported.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
The rumors are that the 5C is just the 5S with the antennae changed out to the ones that China Mobile (and no one else) support.

In which case, there is no reason to sell it 'here' because the tech isn't supported.

I understand that, but why limit the plastic colored phones to be sold in China.
That makes no sense at all. You can easily build logicboards for different markets and don't limit the different casings sold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.