Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
This is not new iPhone hardware.

If the bezel pic that was leaked earlier this week shows a higher ear speaker, this must be an iPhone 3G

M

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
PEOPLE! It's already been established that it's the new iPhone hardware in the 3G casing, so please quit asking about a front-facing camera.

There is no proof of there being new hardware in there other than his word. Don't be so gullible.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I realize there was another thread on this topic, but it got pretty far derailed off-topic, so I've started this one as a new one.

arn

Would be nice to give the OP credit for actually finding and posting the links and photos to the chinese site.

askiboot

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
The Camera is in Video Mode

The camera in the left picture is in video mode, which suggests video function on the new iphones.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
3.0 doesn't include Digital Compass... As far as speculation goes, that's only a 3rd Gen iPhone feature.

And if you look at the bottom right of the camera in action, there's clearly a slider between PHOTO icon and VIDEO icon.

3G cannot and will not do video.

Go to the app store and type in compass go, There's an app for that or just type "compass" in search and browse all day.

Yes the 3g can do video theres an app in the app store that will let you take video, but only for a limited amount of time. Plus all the good jailbreak apps available too.

Michael Belisle

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
College Station, TX, USA
Besides the usual Boy Scout usefulness, what other applications could we see from the compass?

For example, the current iPhone has everything the Astronomer application needs to make it work except a compass. With a compass, the application would finally know which is up and could orientate itself with the sky properly.

There are no doubt countless other useful things that can be done when you know which direction the phone is facing as well as where it is and how fast it's accelerating.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Interesting. At this point this is not much new, though...

Also, correct me if my logic is way off here, but how would the compass app be able to work if this is just running on a 3G model? w/o the magnetometer in there, the compass wouldn't / couldn't do anything, so in my mind that either makes this whole thing fake, or they are simply running with a slightly modified chipset, or they are just photographing the app for interface's sake...

Anyways, interesting...

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
Good jobs!!!! I wish they can show a sweet video. BTW I have a Nokia N85 that I love so much. Because of the 5M pixel camera and the dual-LED flash(It can give some light on when I'm taking a video which is essential to me,better than a Xenon flash for that matter)

The only thing I want to mention, is a 5M camera is verrrrrryyyyyyyy important. OK , comparing to a real DC, it's still trash, but I can't bring my DC everywhere, and the quality of the picture is quite acceptable for daily use ,no matter for taking videos or pictures. The size of them are also a bit smaller, making it more pleasant for a "second choice DC".

As we are approaching the 8M era, why can't AAPL bring this thing on??:apple::mad:

I think megapixels are over rated. The rumored 3.2mp coming in the next iPhone should be more than enough. More megapixels doesnt mean a better picture. I've seen 5MP cameras that take better pics than a 10MP camera. Its the technology behind the lense that matters.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I think megapixels are over rated. The rumored 3.2mp coming in the next iPhone should be more than enough. More megapixels doesnt mean a better picture. I've seen 5MP cameras that take better pics than a 10MP camera. Its the technology behind the lense that matters.
And the lens itself, no doubt. Perhaps you mean technology behind the sensor. The more densely packed the sensor, the higher the noise output as well.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I constantly orient myself via sun, but if I had a compass for actual direction... forget that nature stuff. People who hike up the great outdoors will find this extremely useful as well.

Thumbs up.

I see the compass making it's way to the 3rd gen. iPod touch, too.

I also hope the 3rd gen. iPhone gets Nike+ built-in as well.

Michael Belisle

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
College Station, TX, USA

And pinhole optics will always be pinhole optics. That said, I'm wondering how the autofocus is implemented. I can't imagine much is different physically, because I have a hard time seeing the phone accomplishing much by moving a pinhole lens with some sort of microactuator. But maybe the software adjusts the gains based on what part of the image you select.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Besides the usual Boy Scout usefulness, what other applications could we see from the compass?

A digital compass that has pretty good accuracy can detect movement within a space, which has all sorts of usefulness for turn-by-turn navigational apps when your GPS fix gets a bit jumpy (easily seen if you zoom in really close or loose your signal under a tunnel). Plus, it can be used in Google Maps Street view to actually show the exact positioning of what's in front of you and rotate when you rotate (like on the T-Mobile G1).

And that just scratches the surface too!

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
3.0 doesn't include Digital Compass... As far as speculation goes, that's only a 3rd Gen iPhone feature.

And if you look at the bottom right of the camera in action, there's clearly a slider between PHOTO icon and VIDEO icon.

3G cannot and will not do video.

The 3g can and does do video. Jailbreak it and there are tons of apps that do live video streaming, video recording, etc. So to say it CAN'T is just totally wrong. Can't do it without jailbreaking in 3.0, maybe.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
I couldn't tell from the translation but are those pictures of the dash cluster (the sharper ones) supposedly from the new iPhone also?
Pica are in the original thread translated to English.

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
20090530_b759972b04143ce3e4f879noZn86i8k0.jpg

Personally I don't dig the audio recording app layout. Why waste so much space on a microphone graphic? Lame. Why not have a graphic audio editor? Or at least have the imitation VU meter be the whole screen? At least that is some what useful.

Also let's hope for some phone call conversation recording. As well possibly in app recording for things like skype or (fingers crossed) ichat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.