Photos on iPod not in order and other probs

Discussion in 'iPod' started by skybolt, Oct 16, 2006.

1. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Got a new 80 gig 5G iPod. In putting my photos on it, I have noticed that it is not doing what (I think) I am telling it to do. In iPhoto, I have two years worth of photos, 2005 and 2006 (the rest are on an external). I tell iTunes to sync the two files -- 2005 and 2006. What I get are, firstly, duplicates of every picture (probably the thumbnail and the original?). I also get some photos that I know have been deleted (eBay items for sale, etc.). Then, they are not in order -- for instance August 2006 photos show up before May 2006, then March 2006 follows.

What is going on? How can I get only my iPhoto library onto my iPod and not the duplicates and deleted photos. By putting the deleted photos on the iPod, I am suspecting that it is picking up the photos from the finder library. But I sure don't want to have to keep going in there and deleting the unwanted pictures -- I know about playing in the library in finder!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Disclaimer: I don't own a photo-capable iPod, so I'm a bit out of my element here.

When you chose which photos to sync, how did you select them? Is this something done from within iTunes or iPhoto? I ask because typically iPhoto organizes its files into year, with originals and modified, and that sounds similar to your situation. In this case the thumbnails and duplicates may well be a problem. Can you export to the iPod directly from iPhoto? This is usually the best way to interface with the iPhoto database.

3. skybolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

The preferences for photos are in iTunes (7.?? -- latest). I choose the folders that are "originals", and don't check the "modified" That is as far as the choices go. Are there thumbnails in the "original" folder? Looking at the library in finder does not indicate thumbnails. Just really puzzled. Same behavior on the 4G iPod I had previously -- never did get an answer.