Photoshop & 2Gb Ram, Will it be faster?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cbay, Jul 11, 2006.

1. cbay macrumors newbie

Hello All!

I am new to MacRumors.com, to be exact this is my first post so if i have done it wrong or in the wrong place, I am extremely sorry.

I want to ask about Photoshop and increasing the Ram on my new wonderful MacBook. I am a photographer so use Photoshop daily in the car so macbook seemed brilliant as I heard Mac's were brilliant for Photo Editing and Video Editing. Photoshop currently runs alot slower than my past Windows Laptop and iBook (I had for a week to play with.) I understand it is because the new Macbooks are Intel Processors and not Power Pc, and Photoshop is not Universal Binary.

But...

If i purchase 2Gb ram which will be a 1.5Gb increase from the default 512mb I currently have in my macbook. Will this increase in Ram help Photoshop run alot quicker. I know when CS3 or the universal binary update comes out it will fly with 2Gb Ram but with CS2 will it help?

Will love to hear everyones opinions...

2. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

Rosetta is a ram hog, so yes, it will help. I would recommend running windows on it to edit (or paralells, that'd even be faster)

3. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

Of course it will help, rosetta uses lots of RAM, so more RAM will improve the performance.

4. cbay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help. I was thinking bout installing Windows XP but afraid ill do it wrong and mess my macbook up.

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

If you have Photoshop for windows, it would be worth it to use that version than the Non-Universal Mac version. And yes, get that 2 gigs of ram, you will get a significant speed boost, but don't expect blazing fast speed in Rosetta.

6. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

You'll do it fine, its a piece of cake. :)

Photoshop is massively faster with more RAM. Huge improvement.

Welcome to MacRumors!

7. BAspecialCake macrumors member

BAspecialCake

When you purchase photoshop legally...

It should be bundled with extra memory. :p

8. cbay thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i prefer to use MAC. We will just have to see... I might even try the version of Aperture i got as i didnt relise at the time i needed 1Gb Ram minimum, so ill try that see how good that is aswell. :)