Photoshop 35% Faster on Intel Macs with OS X 10.4.8

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 14, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors Core

Dagless

This is incredible :) I wonder how much faster it will run with leopard?

3. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ok... I thought this was just bull...pooh, but I just tried it and got 45 seconds on the photoshop test, which I got 1'06 on a while back (post) :eek: :cool:

4. macrumors 6502

I sure as hell haven't noticed it

5. macrumors 6502a

Is 1 gig sufficient for a macbook to run photoshop?

6. macrumors 65816

Luis

A am satisfied with 1GB on my MBP, however everyone will tell you the more Ram the better, it also depends a lot on how much you use the program. Professionals will expect much more than people that just fool around with the program.

Luis

7. macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

I'd say as a rule that it's not really enough, but you can "run" photoshop without problem on 1gig. I currently have 1,5gig ram in my iMac G5, but I could have used more. I'll be getting 2gig ram in my new intel iMac in January (unless they upgrade it further by then). ;)

8. macrumors 6502a

Alright, thanks.

9. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Sufficient? No. Doable? Yes. It depends on what you're doing, and how long you've got on hand to wait. You can apply a dozen filters to a 1GB image with 1GB RAM on a MacBook, but it'll take you the better part of an hour or more to have it complete.

A good rule of thumb is that PS wants around 2GB RAM and 20-40GB of HD space to be happy. You can use less, but you wait longer. Hardcore editing you're going to want a full free 2GB RAM (since IRC, PS still can't address more than 2GB???WTF??) and an entire seperate scratch disk.

Your milage may vary.