Photoshop 5.0 on OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Romulan, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Romulan macrumors member

A friend of mine just gave me an old copy of adobe photoshop 5.0. However, it only works in classic environment. Does anyone know if adobe made an upgrade that allows photoshop 5.0 to run natively on OS X?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Photoshop 7 was the first version that ran natively under OS X.

3. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

WOW thats old :eek: That was released back in 1998 or so -

Anyway, no, Adobe hasn't released an update for PS 5 that makes it OS X compatible. Heck, they didn't even release an OS X-compatible update for PS 6 - the first version of PS to run on OS X was PS 7.

4. Romulan thread starter macrumors member

lol i know it's really old. I just dont have the cash to shell out for the new one. Better start saving. :eek: Thanks.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I haven't used PS5 in a long time, but wouldn't PSE3 be comparatively more powerful, by now? It runs natively, and it can be had for about $40....

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You can save a bunch of $ now though, since you can just buy the upgrade to CS 2, which I think is only like $150? Yes, only $150 even from Apple, with free shipping.

7. Romulan thread starter macrumors member

Are you sure they'd allow me to upgrade to CS2 from such an older version? If it's possible I'm all for it, but it just doesn't sound right to me.

8. RacerX macrumors 65832

Adobe has always let people upgrade from any version of Photoshop... infact, the Photoshop upgrade page says...
    To install this upgrade successfully, you will need a licensed version of any version of Adobe Photoshop, on the same platform as this purchase.

That having been said, Adobe has changed the license strings since version 5.0 (with the release of version 7.0 as I recall), so you'll be required to call Adobe and give them the license from 5.0 and they'll give you a string that will let you use the CS2 upgrade.

Prior to version 7.0, any license string from a previous version could be used to install a later upgrade version of Photoshop. And the version 5.5 and 6.0 upgrades could be installed using the license string from ImageReady 1.0.

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

+

+

Now that is very interesting. A brand new copy of Photoshop CS2 for under $200. That is a fantastic deal. Back to the original poster, if you want to run PS5, I guess you will just need to run it under classic or upgrade to an OS X version... :eek:

10. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Depending on what functionality you were hoping to get out of PS5, why not try something dirt cheap like Graphic Converter?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I use Photoshop 5.0 nearly every day in OSX. Yup, you heard that right. It works just fine in Classic; consequently I haven't found a good reason to upgrade it. It still does some things the most recent version of PH Elements won't. So if you can install the Classic Environment, I say go for it!