Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
I am getting photoshop 6 today from a friend. Does it run native in OSX or is it a OS9 application? Thanks
Paul

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Photoshop 6 won't run natively in OS X. It'll run in Classic, but I don't recommend it. It's a memory intensive application, and Classic tends to hold down performance.

Photoshop 7 runs natively in OS X, though. ;)

pdham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
What if I boot to os9 instead of running it through classic? Will the performance still suffer?

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
if you run strictly os9 you will be fine... If at all possible, try to save a bit of cash and get 7. The healing brush in itself makes it worth the money.

I give the healing brush the "best new graphic tool" award. Well, newer at least :D

Whos with me???

pdham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
Thanks for the help guys:

I would love to save the money and get 7, however, I need indesign and dreamweaver for an internship / school and I am a starving college student so I cant afford to buy all three. So I guess I will have to take what I can get.

I do however, feel guilty complaining about the price of photoshop when I can get it through my university for only a little over $200. But that still is alot of money for my poor self :)

Thanks again,
Paul

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
can you not afford all education versions???

BTW: just curious... who requires you to have indesign? that is good to hear that indesign is moving up in the world, because it translates into quark going down the tubes :D

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by pdham
I do however, feel guilty complaining about the price of photoshop when I can get it through my university for only a little over $200. But that still is alot of money for my poor self :)
Actually if you have a copy of Photoshop 6 for the Mac, the upgrade from 6 to 7 is $150 list.

Remember some companies offer upgrades for owners of previous versions of software.

And since Adobe releases the Photoshop upgrades through the normal distribution channels, sometimes you can get a discount on the list price.

pdham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
First, I am a journalism / strategic communications major and will be interning in Public Relations and Communications at March of Dimes this summer. They dont require that I have InDesign specifically, but I will be incharge of Newsleeters, mailings, et. and anyone who works with alot of layout stuff knows Indesign in superior. Plus my university only teaches strat comm students indesign so that is what i know the best. It would be nice if they had InDesign to use in office, however, they are the most volunteer based Non-Profit in the country, so they dont have the resources to equip their office computers.

Secondly, no I cant afford the edu prices for all. I will be buying Indesign for $149 and Dreamweaver MX (i need this for a job next year) for $99 so I really cant spend another $249 (or there abouts).

Paul

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The Design Collection educational price is $399. The other Adobe Collections are priced similarly.

If your school doesn't have the pricing that my school does, try the online stores that you can find in the back pages of Mac magazines.

pdham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
Originally posted by bousozoku
The Design Collection educational price is $399. The other Adobe Collections are priced similarly.

If your school doesn't have the pricing that my school does, try the online stores that you can find in the back pages of Mac magazines.

My school's price is 349 for the package, however, that would be 349 for the package and another 99 for dreamweaver... I cant afford that.

I can barely afford the $250 for dreamweaver, indesign, and my free photoshop 6. Aparently none of you know what it is like to go to school entirely on FInancial aid and loans.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Hey, trust me I know what living off of financial aid is like. Been there, done that.

Why do you need Dreamweaver? If you're just going to be doing print work...

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
To play the devils advocate I believe Photoshop 6 will be fine, many print houses and journalism enviornments are still using classic as their main os.

Personally I use strictly OSX.2, but I dont have the expense of 100s or employees and a several press'

Save your money and run bro... you will be fine. If you find you need 7 down the line you can pick it up then.. it wont go up in price. :)

-Doc

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My school's price is 349 for the package, however, that would be 349 for the package and another 99 for dreamweaver... I cant afford that.

I can barely afford the $250 for dreamweaver, indesign, and my free photoshop 6. Aparently none of you know what it is like to go to school entirely on FInancial aid and loans.

I don't have a job right now. I know very well how it is to not even have Financial Aid or loans and have a house and car payment.

Maybe you should look at Corel Graphics Suite 11. It's not great, but you get a lot in one package: Photo manipulation, Multiple page vector graphics and page layout, flash-compatible animation, and bitmap tracing.

pdham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Why do you need Dreamweaver? If you're just going to be doing print work...

I need dreamweaver for school and for an upcoming job as the public relations / media manager / webmaster for my university's community service committe.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I need dreamweaver for school and for an upcoming job as the public relations / media manager / webmaster for my university's community service committe.

If you'll be using it for work you should be able to get your employer to purchase it for you.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Slightly off topic, but...

Am I the only one who finds Adobe's EDU pricing to be a bit ****ed up? I distinctly remember Photoshop 6 being priced at $99 at my school, but 7 is weighing in at $249. I realize that it's still a substantial break, but why the rate hike? Macromedia still slings Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Flash at $99 each. They seem to realize that getting students hooked on your product early is a great avenue to revolving revenue and market share increase. Adobe needs to get with the program.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by wsteineker
Slightly off topic, but...

Am I the only one who finds Adobe's EDU pricing to be a bit ****ed up? I distinctly remember Photoshop 6 being priced at $99 at my school, but 7 is weighing in at $249. I realize that it's still a substantial break, but why the rate hike? Macromedia still slings Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Flash at $99 each. They seem to realize that getting students hooked on your product early is a great avenue to revolving revenue and market share increase. Adobe needs to get with the program.

That's apparently to help pay for all the people who buy it in a collection and get an amazing price on the bundle.

By the way, if you buy Studio MX at educational pricing, you should be able to get the previously-mentioned Macromedia applications plus Freehand for $200-$250.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
When I purchased my educational version of Photoshop 5.0, my mother paid around $270 for it, so I don't think the rate's been hiked all that much in the last 4 years.

Maybe your university was having a special for some reason or another.

Alia

kevin49093

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
OK this seems a bit strange reading this.... I know of a few people who are in school at a Indiana University at Bloomington. They can get most any major software for a very small price. (I know one who got Office X for just $5.) How can they do this and why don't other schools follow suit?

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Originally posted by kevin49093
OK this seems a bit strange reading this.... I know of a few people who are in school at a Indiana University at Bloomington. They can get most any major software for a very small price. (I know one who got Office X for just $5.) How can they do this and why don't other schools follow suit?

This cannot be legal. It could be $5 with a $1000 computer purchase, but not just $5 off the shelf.

-Doc

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Actually, my mother has access to a bunch of Microsoft products (including Office and Office X) for exactly $5 as part of a university-wide licensing fee - she works for a university. It's not an official copy though. It's a corporate license. I'm not sure how it works, but I know she had a list of them that she could get through the university like that.

Alia

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by kevin49093

Microsoft has made a deal at our school so that students can get a licenced copy of Visual Studio completely free. They only need to be enrolled in a software development class.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.