Photoshop 7.0 speed test

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crassusad44, Jan 26, 2002.

1. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

I originally posted this on another thread, but thougth I should start a new one...

I have been doing some speed tests with Photoshop the last couple of days, and Photoshop 7.0 for OS X, is FASTER than Photoshop 6.0 for OS 9 on the same systems! And Photoshop 7.0 is still BETA software!!!! (one of my tests, 1 min 20 secs, compared to 52 secs) How about that!

One other note. As I browed though the general options in PS 7 is OS X, I found that one can allocate how much real memory PS will use (default 50%). I will be doing some more tests and give you the numbers! :D

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Great news, let beat OS9 cause it can beat Windows!

DEATH TO WINDOWS!!!!

3. GigaWire macrumors 6502

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I got the beta to and boy does it run sweet
    I only use to touch up images but the love is there

5. crassusad44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, we are the winners! :D

Have anyone seen the final release of binuscan PhotoRetouch Pro??? This is THE killer app for color management. Much better than Photoshop to be honest. One of the most interesting aspects of this app. You can create your own ICC profiles. So you take a couple of shots with your digital camera under different light conditions, then you pull the images up in PhotoRetouch, and make ICC profiles form the images. Next time you import photos from your digital camera, you assign the profiles you made in PhotoRetouch, and when you open the photos in Photoshop (or PhotoRetouch Pro) you can convert the profiles to Adobe RGB (1998), and all your photos will have perfect colors. Picture perfect all the time! Now try that on a Winblows box! No can do!!!!!

OK, a bit of topic (and I STARTED this thread....), but anyways. Going to do some speed test tomorrow. Will check back with the numbers!

6. RazorMouse macrumors newbie

PS7 is NOT faster than PS6

That's just plain untrue! The Photoshop 7 beta is nowhere near as fast as Photoshop 6. All due to the horrible graphics handling of Aqua (no proper hardware acceleration - try scrolling through an image, and you'll instantly know what I mean). I'm sure some of the filters will be nearly as fast as the OS 9 version, but in my experience it is buggy and slow. I didn't make the upgrade to version 6, and it looks like I won't upgrade to 7, either.

Not until they sit down and program a proper native app in Cocoa. OR Apple releases a chip that is truly faster than Pentiums and Athlons.

And no, I'm NOT an Apple basher. Just a true pro.

7. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

whats your machine

at work on my Dual800 it works fine, i havent noticed any differences..

8. RazorMouse macrumors newbie

PS7b performance

I use a G4/400 for work, with a Radeon card. The Radeon really means the world for smooth graphics performance (also in OS X). Not in Photoshop 7, though...

How you can afford a Dual 800 is beyond my imagination. And I'm a pro with my own company. Apple's G4 prices are simply ridiculous at the moment.

9. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

what beta are you guys running that is so fast?

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I wish I could get my hands on PhotoShop 7.....I still am running the beta version of Illustrator (even though I specifically prefer Freehand). After reading these few posts, I'm wondering if it runs smoother on a DP? Ensign Paris is running a DP 800 G4 and claims it's faster than in OS 9....while RazorMouse is running it on a 400 G4....just don't get started on the "pro" crap.... ;)

11. crassusad44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have tested Photoshop 7.0 beta 43 on a G4 400, G4 867 and G4 DP 800. I will also try it on a PowerBook 550 (combo) and a PM G3/350. Photoshop 7.0 IS faster than PS 6 when its doing REAL work, not just browsing around. Scrolling, menus and zoom do feel a bit slow, but if you use filters or color management, IT IS FASTER. And to RazorMouse, it's not Aqua that draws the screen, it's Quartz, and Quartz is pretty damn fast (as of 10.1.2). I will do some more speed tests tomorrow, and give you the numbers. I will also check out beta 51.

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I got hold of build 43.....so it's safe I hope?

13. RazorMouse macrumors newbie

PS7b performance

The version I've been using is also beta 43. It's interesting to hear that you got hold of beta 51; at least development has progressed somewhat then, since the version I'm using. (Does anyone know which version was demonstrated at MWSF?)

I wonder if the slowness of the interface was the reason they just ran an action in the demo? :)

crassus, I'm a little offended that you refer to scrolling around in the work document and layers as not 'REAL work'. This is what I do much of the time when working with PS; and I do really use it a lot. Sure, it's great that filters are faster, but that to me is not 'REAL work', it's just a math operation. But perhaps our uses differ; I use PS primarily as a design tool, working on interfaces for interactive applications such as Flash, Shockwave or Java. While my documents are often less than 800x600, I regularly use upwards of 300 layers - and while, frankly, that will slow any version of Photoshop down, it's excruciating under OS X.

You're right - it's Quartz that is slowing everything down, not 'Aqua' as I erroneously stated. I'm sorry, but I'll just have to completely disagree with you that Quartz is 'pretty damn fast'. I suppose then, that Flash is also 'pretty damn fast'? It may be fast at what it is trying to do (drawing everything as vector graphics), but sometimes what it is trying to do just doesn't make sense. Consider this: you want to code a Galaga or Space Invaders-type game. Do you use Flash, or Shockwave? In this case, using Flash would be stupid, because you'd get around 1/10 the performance of Shockwave, or less, because Flash handles all graphics, even bitmaps, as vectors. It just simply doesn't make sense for the task at hand. Same with Quartz; you want to scroll smoothly through list view in your file window - no can do, because Quartz is taking years and years drawing supersmooth vector graphics in software for every update (and then, on top of that, you're being further slowed down by OS X's filesystem which is cranking away on your HD at your request - AFTER you clicked the scroll button. Why the hell doesn't it load the file list into RAM instead???). What I'm trying to say is; it's not the right tool for the task. You don't want it. You don't need it. You want the SPEED, in stead.

If OS X is the OS of the future, then that's because it will take a future Mac to run it well.

BTW, I'm looking forward to seeing your test results.

14. RazorMouse macrumors newbie

PS7b stability

To eyelikeart:

If you mean, is it safe to run, then yes - although expect it to bomb on you outright. But then you should always assume all apps to do so, and therefore save again, save again, all the time. That is, if you want to use it for serious work.

Some filters just don't work - and they crash the app, too. Tread carefully.

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I know that much....just wanted to make sure there were others out there running it with some degree of success...

I know it's beta, but I'd much prefer not to install a bug-ridden app on my system.....

thanks ;)

16. Kid Red macrumors 65816

PS7 is incredibly stable so don't be worried. It hasn't crashed on me yet so don't let the others worry you too much. It is as fast as 6 in some areas ans in others it slower. It's still beta maybe it will get better. I'm on a G4 450, but I use it in 9, as X is still a 1 legged dog.

17. crassusad44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry RazorMouse, didn't mean to offend you. But to really test an app like Photoshop, filters is one of the best ways. I also scroll and zoom in and out a lot in Photoshop, but number crunching is when you put both the app and the prosessor to a test.
    So Quartz. Quartz is fast, at screen redrawing that is. Quartz is engenius, but of course, at some tasks Quartz is not the best solution. I know...

Don't know why you seem to have so much trouble with the beta though. Beta 43 has NEVER crashed on me (used it alot lately). First time I noticed PS 7 being faster than PS 6 was also on a G4 400... Strange...

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

does anyone know what "Liquid Sky" refers to?

19. crassusad44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beta name, just like "Electric Cat" (4.0) and "Strange Cargo" (5/5.5)...
    The big electric cat was called Udo, if I'm not mistaken. One coool thing. If you use PS 4 or 5/5.5, you can hear Udo burp! (don't ask me why I know this...)

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ahhh....

ok....

in the past few months, I've become quite new and naive with betas and different builds....so I've learned a bunch with new versions of software for OS X....

thanks for the tips! :p

21. RazorMouse macrumors newbie

PS7b performance

crassusad:
    It may be that my PS7 crashes on me regularly in OS X for the same reason that my G4/400 tends to crash the OS (OS 9 that is) regularly in what seems like a hardware crash of some sort. Could be related to the Radeon driver mess.

I know I complain a lot about speed, OS X etc. - but I just tried PS7 in OS 9 and I found it to run beautifully on my home G3/350. No reason to complain there - also I haven't had any crashes on the G3. I have pretty good faith that the final PS7 release will be OK, too - I'm certain the Adobe people are trying their best - after all, a lot (A LOT) of people will be judging their (Adobe's) OS X prowess on their performance with Photoshop.

Now if I could only stomach the price of the DP800... ugh. I know it would make my life so much more tolerable, I just know it...

22. ogun7 macrumors regular

ogun7

23. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

beta

Im running beta 58 and it seems to work pretty good. I have not had the time to fully test it but it looks good. Can't wait for it to fully ship. Any one have a beta that is newer than mine??

24. erova macrumors member

evil...did you use 43 prior to 58? any differences? i definitely thought the 43 beta was a little slower on my Powerbook g4 500 with 768 of ram...i randomly tell myself to hope that the hesitation is a beta issue and not my machine...

razor...i emailed you a question about your font on your website...i once went about three weeks before i realized someone emailed me on here so if you get a chance check it..thanks...

25. Choppaface macrumors 65816

it'll work in 9 right?

and what new features does it have?

also, exactly what are the advantages of flash over director other than actionscript is easier?