Photoshop 7 and Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by madamimadam, Aug 21, 2006.

1. madamimadam macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2002
    I'm having a play around with this copy of Leopard I got from WWDC but I can't seem to get my copy of Photoshop 7 working. As it is, I had to install it onto the machine via Target Disk mode because the install kept having permission errors.

I'm obviously not going to be purchasing another copy of Photoshop just to play around with it in a Beta Operating System so I guess I'm just wondering with anyone has had success in this area.
  2. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
    I still use Photoshop 7 and GoLive 6; have never seen the need to upgrade either of 'em. If it's crashing on app install, I wonder what will happen when Leopard is installed over Tiger -- will these apps need an upgrade?

Good excuse, I guess, to get the Adobe all-n-one package sometime.
  3. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2002
    I would SUSPECT (but obviously don't know) that this will not be an issue in the full release but, in the mean time, I guess I'll test the rest of Leopard (made maybe get into some development testing... ie. the whole reason Apple gave us this.. LOL) without Photoshop.

Being primarily a developer, can't say that the latest version of Photoshop will be any better than the one I've got
  4. kzlambert macrumors member

Aug 11, 2006
    The most recent Photoshop releases have not been that breath taking... Photoshop 7 was what I began learning on, and upgraded to CS. I found that CS is essentially the same. I tried CS2 but found that they had messed up a few features I got used to in 7 & CS so I reverted to my copy of CS.. I would deffinately recommend staying with 7.. it is still an amazing app!
  5. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Feb 25, 2006
    Milton Keynes, UK
    It's not amazing app if it doesn't work.
  6. GodsHand macrumors newbie

Jul 3, 2006
    You clearly aren't the target market for Photoshop then, because CS and especially CS2 were incredible upgrades with tons of new features.
  7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    I agree. Going back to anything before CS2 would be a headache for me. One of the biggest features in CS2 is the ability to have editable/resizable vector graphics in your files.
  8. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    So I guess Photoshop is aimed at people who have to have the absolute latest version of any (and every) thing or their heads will explode? :eek:

:rolleyes: Silly me, and all this time I was under the impression that it was targeted for graphics professionals.

At least 90% of Photoshop's most used features were in place by Photoshop 5.0. And by this I mean that 9 out of every 10 tasks I see performed by professionals in Photoshop were features that shipped by the 5.0 release. Photoshop starts being annoying (and limited) at version 4.0 and (in my opinion) nearly unusable by the time you look at 3.0 or 2.5.

For example even though Adobe bundled ImageReady with Photoshop 5.5, I don't recall Photoshop making use of ImageReady's optimization engine until Photoshop 6.0.

But you are right though. While Photoshop may be an important tool of the trade, they make most of their money on people who will spend a few hundred dollars just to make sure they aren't left out with each new upgrade. :D