Photoshop 7, Mac OSX and slow screen redraw

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Moonlight, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Moonlight macrumors 6502

Moonlight

Anyone else have this problem: I upgraded to mac osx and photoshop 7 and now my screen redraw is much slower than it was in os9 and ps6.. I am running a powermac dual 1ghz. ??:confused:

2. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Holy Spit!

Ok oK OK!

I am running a Ti 800 and you beter believe that I am getting redraw speeds that approach the lightening pace of a SNAIL!

If you are having trouble with a DP then I would say you have trouble.

UNless your using a file thats 300 or 600 dpi.

At 600 if your ram is low then you going to get screen redraws that are a bit slow.. Gimme some more specs on the files and the hardware...:p

3. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I'm having some speed related problems too

like opening a few hundred 2 to 4 meg files stops the thing from responding to the escape key

PS6/OS9 never had any probs there...

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

same probs here, its gets annoying , you have to let it sit there for while so it redraws even on a 2mb file

5. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I would be interested to hear what the machine specs are that your having trouble with?

If its still happening with a DP then, I am going to wait a long time before I get a new PowerMac, APple is supposed to be the fastest with Photoshop , thats what i want it for!

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

apple is not necessarily the fastest with photoshop

http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html

if a 1.4ghz XP only takes one second longer than a dual G4 1ghz, then a 2200+ XP probably will shave off more than that one second needed to tie, but they're still pretty close, not a big difference. although you could get a dual XP and still probably undercut the price of a dual G4 depending on config.

I'm having these problems on a dual 500mhz G4 with a gig of ram and a 15,000 rpm cheetah SCSI hard drive.

I've also got PS7 running on my PC, a dual althlon 1900 XP with a gig of ram and a 100 gig western digital w/ jumbo buffer. unless you're running lots of filters that take a lot of time to render, or using lots of brushes on very high res docs, the response in PS7/OS9 is similar to the response in PS7/XP. the PC obviously runs filters a lot faster, but it's not a big deal. PS7/OSX is just pitiful. I've stopped doing massive work in it and booted back into OS 9.2.2 because of the lag. I swear I've gotten better response out of my 400mhz G3 powerbook (lombard) running OS 9.2.2. I can't wait for jaguar as from what my friends have said it fixes this.

I still do any color sensative work on my mac. adobe gamma on my pc does not work for some reason, and XP has no OS-level colorsync support that I know of anyways.

although its very nice to have the full selection of old 3rd party plugins in PS7/XP.....

7. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

yea, thats another issue with shop/osx.
    Not enough osx plugs and the question is will there ever be>?

WIth SHop running SO bad on OSX, and SHOP being the reason to get a MAC or it used to be! I don't see plugs coming, let alone continued work on SHOP/OSX.

I dont have that much trouble on SHop?xp gamma.

Maybe I am not a particular as I should be. I do some gamma and use an embedded color profile.

The thing is that with a LCD , the colors are going to whack anyway ,,L:(

SO i got this "let it go " attitude, which i knwo is crazy and I am going to have to get a hold of myself really soon!

Whats your gamma methods?

It seems to me that Shop/osx is just a bad combo!
    ANd that is very startling thing when you think about the past and the MAC's relationship to Shop!

I am equally dissatisfied adn also think that the Motherboard bottlenecks add to the problems here!

8. Moonlight thread starter macrumors 6502

Moonlight

not a hardware problem

I don't think it is a hardware problem I am having, because it works fine with ps7 and os9. It seems like a software problem, or driver problem with the video card.

The specs are:

Dual 1ghz g4
    1.5 gb RAM
    4 20gb scratch disks
    Nvidia geforce4MX card running a 22 lacie blue3
    and I am working on layered photoshop files with a resolution of 9000 pixels by 7000, with a file size of 1.8gb

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

yep OS9/PS7 on a G4 dual 1ghz should run fine....although it would be interesting to see how it compares to my dual athlon box :D

Grokgod, in OS 9 I first use adobe gamma to set up my monitor, and then I make sure 'proof colors' is always on and the correct profile is being used (I work mainly in sRGB, so I usually don't have that checked and have PS default to sRGB space). OSX I used the colorsync utility to calibrate my monitor, although colors still seem a bit washed out on OSX so I'm not sure if it really did anything. if you have an LCD, calibration is not really worth it. LCDs can really oversaturate or wash things out easily from my experience. some claim that they can get decent color out of the 22" cinemas, but when I tested one I sure couldn't.

10. Moonlight thread starter macrumors 6502

Moonlight

LCD

The nice thing about LCD is if you calibrate it once, you never need to do it again, unlike CRT. But I can't see using LCD mainly because the color changes depending on what angle you are looking at it. And I tried the 22" cinema and I saw a hard line between 1% color and pure white, kinda the opposite of the old 29" Barco monitors that gave you a hard line between 99% and pure black..But that doesn't help me get better screen redraws in OSX and PS7, and it is not only slow, but sometimes refuses to redraw certain areas unless I turn on and off layeres ???

11. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

my specs are a
    g4 imac 700mhz
    512ram
    5 gig scratch
    it should be doing a bit better than it is

hope an update comes soon

12. Moonlight thread starter macrumors 6502

Moonlight

jaguar

anyone know if jaguar with the quartzXtreme might help ?

13. 2Step Garage macrumors newbie