Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2002
Do you remember when the g4 came out? Apple had been working with adobe in order for photoshop to use the velocity engine right after the g4 came out.

Now, photoshop 8 is comming out soon, around the same time of panther.
What if apple has been working with adobe again for a 970 64bit enabler for photoshop?

Anyone think this is too good to be true?

i know that adobe is a little mad with apple... after all their new dvd software will not be avail for osx.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
And btw, how much more "improved" can an image editor be? Right now 7 can't be improved too much to justify a $150 upgrade.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
What else can you add to Photoshop? as a tool for photographers you have everything there, for web design I just do not care, video integration... it shuld work better with After Effects in some stuff. But what else? Speed? I have been working with Photo Shop since 1997 and I still doesn't know why people need speed? I'm working with it in a Powerbook G3 500 and it is fine, specially because all video works as well web design are at 72 DPI, and for printing there is not too much difference. Now, After Effects needs a lot of work still.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by mymemory
What else can you add to Photoshop? as a tool for photographers you have everything there, for web design I just do not care, video integration... it shuld work better with After Effects in some stuff. But what else? Speed? I have been working with Photo Shop since 1997 and I still doesn't know why people need speed? I'm working with it in a Powerbook G3 500 and it is fine, specially because all video works as well web design are at 72 DPI, and for printing there is not too much difference. Now, After Effects needs a lot of work still.

I have a dual 1ghz qs with 1.5gb of ram. when i do my larger prints, this system dies ... so much that i cant get a responce from the dock.

granted im doing files that are 20 by 30 in at 300 dpi with 7-10 layers... but i could really use a ton more speed... espicially with the ram/ swap file.

and there is nothing wrong with my comp, the fles take up about 1.8gb of ram, and i only have 1.5, so it goes crazy with the swap.

Id like to see in ps8 what they are adding
non-square pixles (for dvd menues)

and text on a path.

But yes, i care more about the speed of aftereffects.

rmac

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2002
Hanover, NH
Additions

1. Do more things in 16 bit mode. Right now have to do major adjustments in 48 bits (Levels, curves), then to use layers, transformations, etc. have to throw out all the extra information because they can only be done in 8 bit mode. Seems to me like a 64 bit system would help here.

2. Histogram pallete and/or an optional combined levels and curves dialog (curves can do everything that levels can, but histograms give real nice feedback about an image.

3. More options for masks. Maybe something as simple as an adjustment layer gradient that can be used as a mask and later modified (right now using gradients for masks takes up more file space than it should have to). Vector masks that can have a feathred affect without needing to rasterize them first. Or masks that can be tied to the image data of the whole image and adjsuted from there.

4. Better RAW support for cameras....built in.

5. Multitasking within Photoshop. Scanning via import shouldn't lock everything up. Should be able to work on other files while long filters go.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
good suggestions all around.

i've heard that the filters will be handled more like ae effects... ie, tweakable after appying them, not just apply and done...

i also heard mention of 7.5, but could certainly be changed.

does PS have a history of releasing big .5 upgrades?

friendlyghost

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2002
seems to be working for them.... name another competitive imaging application?

I could just as easily say:
Windows seems to be working for them. Name another competitive operating system.

The reality is that Photoshop has become the standard, so everyone accepts it as a result whether it's the best program for the job or not.

Sounds familiar.

To answer your question a little more specifically, most other imaging apps, and there are a good handful of them, just play copycat and really don't advance the state of things.

As a result, using photoshop today sort of feels like using a mac in the late 1980s. Not that macs were all that bad back then, it's just that haven't we come a long way since then?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
but there are obvious flaws in windows... i myself dont' see the obvious flaws in the PS UI.

that said, i certainly think that if they had real competition, it'd be good for consumers. more innovation and such.

i guess my point is less of "don't question what's working" and more of "what do you think they need to fix about it?"

word

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
What else can you add to Photoshop?

Photoshop 8 is supposedly going to have non-destructive filters. That is to say you will be able to add and remove filters at any time just the way you currently can with layer styles. I think that in itself would be worth a $150 upgrade.

If you dont think its been done? Look how huge of an improvement 5 to 6 was! 6 to 7 wasnt quite as amazing, but it introduced the healing brush and the file browser, which are both very nice.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
The only things they can really improve on is optimising it for the PPC970 and improving the features that are already there. For example, improving the magic wand tool.

64bit chips can use a few gigabytes of RAM compared to the Max of 2GB in 32bit chips. So Apple moving to 64bit before Intel/AMD (not counting Intels/AMDs server chips) will give a big reason for creative types to switch or stay with Macs.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
I still doesn't know why people need speed? I'm working with it in a Powerbook G3 500 and it is fine, specially because all video works as well web design are at 72 DPI, and for printing there is not too much difference. Now, After Effects needs a lot of work still.

have you ever worked on a 200 - 300 - 500 - 800MB - or 1 gigabyte file? just because your work doesnt call for more speed doesnt mean it isnt necessary in the print industry. especially when your racing against the fed ex guy that will be there at five.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by beatle888
have you ever worked on a 200 - 300 - 500 - 800MB - or 1 gigabyte file? just because your work doesnt call for more speed doesnt mean it isnt necessary in the print industry. especially when your racing against the fed ex guy that will be there at five.

I hear that!
I think the bus speed alone will help a ton.

If only adobe could program as well as apple.

I love the 89% speed boost in FCP just from a second processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.