Photoshop and iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bingee, Aug 13, 2006.

1. bingee macrumors member

When I connect my camera photos are uploaded to iphoto, fine. I then crop, rotate and tweak in photoshop and save them. When I return to iphoto I don't see the edited pics only the originals.
    Is there a way to do this or, should I upload to my mac, edit and then upload to iphoto.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    How are you getting the picture to Photoshop? Opening PS and browsing through the Finder structure? If so, then iPhoto doesn't know that you've edited it.

If you go into iPhoto's preferences, you can set PS to be your editing application. Then when you click edit on a photo, it will open up PS and put the picture in there for you to work on. That way when you save it back to iPhoto, it knows that something has changed and updates the thumbnail accordingly.

3. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I think I love you!

In all my bloody time using a Mac - I never knew that! :eek:

4. bingee thread starter macrumors member

Set up preferences

Applespider I have now set up the preferences as you say and PS now launches but the photo does not open in it. Any ideas why?

Sorry to post twice i must learn to be more patient.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Hmm, so the preferences say 'Open With Adobe Creative Suite Photoshop' (or whatever) and then highlighting an image and choosing 'edit' doesn't bring up the picture but does bring up PS?

How did you install Photoshop? Has it ever been through an Archive & Install? If so, you might be missing the Adobe Unit Types file from one of your system folders which can stop files opening in on a double click in PS. You'd need to look in your Previous Systems folder and drag it from /Library/Scripting Additions to your current Library/Scripting Additions folder.

If not, then I'm a little puzzled...

6. bingee thread starter macrumors member

CS is a new install from my original CD on this my still shiny MBP.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

How long have you waited for it to open the picture? Remember that CS is running under Rosetta and might take a while for the request to be translated and run through? :confused:

If it still doesn't work (and none of the Americans/Aussies can help you when we get into better times for them), you might want to look into using Image Capture (in your Apps folder) to get your files onto your MBP, tweak in Photoshop and then just put the 'keepers' into iPhoto.

8. bingee thread starter macrumors member

I tried to edit photo several minuites ago and it still hasn't appeared. To thicken the plot if I open in PS and edit, the saved photo does changed (when browsed to in the iphoto originals folder) but even if I quit iphoto and PS the original phot still shows in iphoto.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

That's because iPhoto builds its own thumbnail of the image when you import it and if it doesn't know that should have changed, it won't show it. Who knows what other mysteries are involved in the iPhoto 'database' file that tracks images/changes? It seems to have a mind of its own which is one reason most people advise only changing things 'through' iPhoto rather than through the Finder and hoping iPhoto picks them up.

If you go full screen in iPhoto, does it pick up the old or the new version?
    If you don't get any useful answers here, it might be worth stopping by the Studio at the Apple Store (since the Genius Bar is generally swamped) and asking them why it's not working. The oddest thing, in my eyes, is that it's seeing that you want to edit in PS so it's accepted that change to your preferences but isn't opening the file.