Photoshop: Can I pick colors from elsewhere on the screen?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Doctor Q, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Perhaps the answer to this question is so obvious that I'm missing it in front of my face.

When I select the foreground color in Photoshop using the Color Picker, I'd like to use an eyedropper to pick up a color from anywhere on my screen, outside the images in other Photoshop windows.

Is there a way I can do that?

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

just take a screenshot and paste it into a blank photoshop document then get the color from that. least thats what i do.

3. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

no. Photoshop doesn't allow that.

You have to take the screencap like HomerJ said.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not that it answers your question perfectly, but don't forget that you can use Applications->Utilities->DigitalColor Meter to grab values from anywhere on the screen.

5. barrysfarm macrumors regular

Actually you can.

With the eye dropper click within your current document (as if you were to select a color in it) and while keeping the mouse button down, move out of the document and you should be able to pick up the color from anywhere on the screen.

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've been using that as a workaround, but it's a pain because of the many steps: take the screenshot, open it in Photoshop, grab the color, close the image, and delete the file. You can save a little by capturing into the clipboard and pasting into a new image, but it's still a bother.

I've been doing that as well when I have lots of colors to match. Also a bother.

Whoopie! barrysfarm, you are now my #1 favorite MacRumors member! Thanks a million. The next time we have a MacRumors contest, I'll make sure you mysteriously win, whether or not you actually enter the contest! ;)

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

somebody is happy...

thxs for that tip. :)

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

:eek:

i'm not? :eek:

i thought I was the like coolest person here.. hmm.. :( :p

but on topic, i was wondering how to use this also, thanks!

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This is Q we're talking about, he'll be able to come up with mathematical proofs that show how he can have several "#1 favorite MacRumors members" ;)

10. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Nermal, you are my number 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + ... favorite MacRumors member.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

12. maximile macrumors member

That is one of the most useful things I've ever heard. It's this sort of thing that can make using Photoshop just a little bit nicer.

13. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Just to be slightly annoying as well as minimally informative, Elements does the same thing.

14. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

This is indeed very useful, but I wonder if it is deliberate or just a happy accident. The implementation seems slightly clumsy - if you're zoomed in on an image, then it scrolls right to the edge before you can pick a colour from outside it. If it was intentional, I would have thought they would used a modifier key.