Photoshop coming in Universal Binary

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Apr 21, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Just a rehash of what we already knew. :rolleyes: Adobe to release a UB of Photoshop in the first half of next year. This is news why?
  3. macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    OMG Ponies!

This reminds me so much of a day 3 weeks ago where all that was fake came out to play and all that was not news was told in such a way that it almost seems like it is... almost.

We all knew that Photoshop and the rest of the Creative Suite was on the way, and that it would follow its 18 month release schedule.

I mean come on, we are talking about Adobe, not Microsoft.
  4. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2003
    It's the last paragraph that's news - scary news

From the article:

"However there are some products that we have today that we have not been able to afford to continue to develop to make available on the Mac. A great example being FrameMaker. The majority of FrameMaker users use Windows as an OS but there is a small percentage that want to use FrameMaker on the Mac so they can use Boot Camp."

This is a worrying paragraph. If a big player like Adobe thinks this way about low volume mac versions of software, what are the small players going to do?
  5. macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    I've seen this attitude before, but then it was "If Mac Users want to run program X, they should use Virtual PC". I don't think anything has changed.
  6. macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2004
    You must have misread - the article is from April 21st, not April 1st :D
  7. Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    This made no sense. I think that they must have substituted Adobe for Apple.
  8. macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    What a misleading thread title!!!!!! :mad:

Seriously... don't do that. :(
  9. macrumors member

wedge antilies

Dec 14, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia, MAAAATE!

The title got me all excited, thinking they had a definitive date, or had moved it forward.
    Then i read it AND ugh.....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :( :(
  10. macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    Who cares, I mean we all knew they'd make one...
  11. macrumors 6502

Billy Boo Bob

Jun 6, 2005
    Dark Side Of The Moon
    Well, the fact that VPC is painfully slow and not usable for most apps, and Boot Camp / Parallels route is not slow, I'd say there has been a change.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    But it is still not out-of-the-box functionality. I mean, Adobe doesn't really expect that people are going to buy VPC or use boot camp to run their software on a mac. the thing to remember here is that Adobe and Microsoft build software for Mac OS because it's profitable...because there are enough people that want to use it on a mac that it makes business sense. You would have a more legitimate argument if you could run any windows XP application with no need to install boot camp or VPC or anything... if you could just run it out-of-the-box that might pose a threat to Apple.
  13. Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    He's just trying to place the issue somewhere else, as usual. Is FrameMaker all that important on Mac? Probably not. Was Premiere developed for the 3 years before Adobe claimed that Apple forced them out of the market segment with Final Cut Pro? No. If you don't do anything and alternatives come along, why complain?

It was interesting to see Chizen discount Mac users with this:

No longer most of their customers, only most?