Photoshop CS 2 - Program Error?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dpaanlka, Aug 12, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I now cannot do anything in Photoshop (open files, create new files) as it gives me an error that says it couldn't complete the task because of a "program error"

This after installing a new hard drive into my PowerBook and transferring the old contents over via disk utility's restore option.

What's going on here?

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

3. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I reinstalled the entire CS 2 suite today and it still doesn't work.

It's bizarre how all the other CS 2 apps - including ImageReacy, seem to work fine. Only Photoshop is displaying this behavior.

4. DelGaudio macrumors newbie

As of this week, I'm having the same problem. Photoshop throws a "Program Error" when attempting to open a file and when creating a new file. Photoshop opens but wont do anything.

It originally started last week w/ PS 7. I then installed the CS2 suite thinking it would fix it. Photoshop worked once fine then went back to "Program Error".

I've tried deleting the preferences folder and the com.adobe.Photoshop.plis, still l nothing. I'm running 10.4.7 (w/ 512MB RAM, crippled memory bay, whole other issue).

Is it a possibility that Photoshop would throw a program error from insufficient memory? Does anyone has any other ideas?

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Did you all try the old standby (hold down apple-option-shift while starting Photoshop, then yes to the "delete" prompt)? That very often fixes it.

6. DelGaudio macrumors newbie

No such luck (on my machine anyway, dpaanlka?).

That's a good trick though. I hadn't heard of that one.

7. DelGaudio macrumors newbie

Yes! Something worked. Thanks for the link to the support page. I've been looking for that all morning.

As recommended, I deleted all the printers in the System Prefs and things seem to be back in order. Photoshop opens files and can create new ones. I haven't reinstalled the printers but I wasn't using most of the ones in there anyway. It could have been a combination of the settings needing to be reset and the printers needing to be rebuilt? That's my guess anyway.

At least now I can get some work done. Thanks so much for you advice!

8. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yeah I deleted printers and prefs as well, and suddenly it worked.

Didn't work when I only deleted prefs though.