Photoshop CS crashes at startup.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cgratti, Feb 16, 2005.

1. cgratti macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    Central Pennsylvania, USA
    Won't load, it crashes and hands me an error "The application Adobe Photoshop CS has unexpectedly quit."

Any ideas?

Running iMac G5 1.8GHz. 1.25GB RAM.
    OSX 10.3.8

Was working fine now quits.
  2. nate macrumors member

Jun 28, 2003
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Did you register your Photoshop CS?

I know that if you "borrow" a copy of some Adobe products and install them on your computer, it links up to the net and tries to make sure that the copy is registered to you. If not, it quits.

I had that happen when I installed Adobe InDesign 2.0 -- it worked for a while, but then came up with the same error. (But when I unplugged myself from the net, the program worked fine, so I knew it had something to do with my "borrowed" copy... so I needed to buy it).

Eventually, I purchased the entire CS suite, and it works fine. I also registered it.

If you own a copy of the software, you may want to try re-installing it, and registering the program with Adobe.

You can also call up Adobe and see if they'll help, or search their web site for help.

If you are "borrowing" the program, you may be out of luck. Adobe seems to be cracking down on "borrowed" copies of it's program, especially anything that's new. Sometimes unplugging the net will solve the error problem.

If you are worried about costs, you have several options:

1. Buy Adobe Photoshop Elements.
    2. Find a way to get a student discount.
    3. Or stick it out and buy the program (it's worth it).

I use almost all of the programs in the Creative Suite, and I think it's an awesome program. I like InDesign a lot more than Quark XPress, too. Illustrator is fine for making illustrations, and Photoshop for fixing up photos. GoLive is good, but I still end up hand-coding within GoLive anyways, so I just turn on TextEdit because it's a faster load (I keep the page up in firefox for the preview; I just press reload when I want to see what things look like). Acrobat professional loads much faster than acrobat reader, and it has more functions, like security.

Good luck,

--nate :)
  3. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    Try cleaning out your cache for adobe...

or search for all photoshop files, trash them and reinstall the app. I had to do that 3 months ago...

4. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    It's a legit version, not hacked... Actually I got it through my university.
  5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Possibly faulty preferences file or maybe even a corrupt font (slim chance).

If chucking the prefs file doesn't do the trick don't mess round. Throw Photoshops folder away and try reinstalling it.
  6. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    How do you mess with the preferences files? I am very new to Macs, but avid on PCs. Any help would be appreciated. I had this working for 2 weeks with the installed fonts and such, it just stopped working.