Photoshop CS logs IP and shuts down mac. Is Adobe spying?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fluke, Sep 29, 2004.

1. fluke macrumors member

Yo

Has anyone heard of this?

I have a copy of Photoshop CS that I bought. I have it installed on two machines, which Adobe says is ok.

Now my friend needed to use Photoshop for a video he was making for his wedding reception. So I gave him my Photoshop CS disc to use for a while. After a little while he started getting a message window when launching Photoshop. Something like "Your computer will shutdown now". It also shows his IP address and ethernet address in the window. Once the window opens there is no choice but to restart the computer. Also when he installed photoshop, my name was in the registration field by default. But my name is not associated with his computer in any way, and it couldn't be on the CD-ROM. So it must communicate with Adobe somehow?

Is Adobe actually gathering information over the internet from each computer their software is installed on? Is this just in the new CS versions of Adobe software? He has deleted the photoshop files off his computer, but I'm curious about how this works?

Thanks

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm guessing you are not on the same network?

3. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

thats interesting... might be cracking down on piracy.... i run little snitch and it doesnt pick up anything when i connect... (not pirated btw)
    but it doesnt connect to anything.... try doing it when not connected to the internet

4. fluke thread starter macrumors member

That is correct. I have a G5 at work on a LAN. An iBook at home with an internet connection. My friend has a G3 at home also with an internet connection.

5. fluke thread starter macrumors member

Good point. I'll get him to pull his ethernet connection and see what happens... I guess that would narrow the problem down.

6. iGav macrumors G3

You never know... you both might get one of these in the post...

7. iGav macrumors G3

which when opened up and worn, looks like this! emblazoned with the legend...

"Something to hide your face in if you get caught with pirated software."

:p :p :p

8. sgarringer macrumors regular

Do you know what a Kernel Panic looks like? It sounds like a Kernel panic to me.

9. fluke thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i am familiar with a kernel panic. i don't think its a kernel panic, at least it doesn't look like one. i'll check in the log though. would a kernel panic display an IP and ethernet address like that?

10. fluke thread starter macrumors member

oh man, thats rough. i guess the lesson learned is don't share software. still i'm just curious how exactly adobe knows what i'm up to.

i see your a planet of the apes fan. have you seen the tv episode where virdon and burke make a treatment for malaria from tree bark? your picture reminds me of the masks they make to protect them from mosquitoes... and urko :)