Photoshop CS2: Can I upgrade from an educational version?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleo, May 23, 2005.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

The thread title says it all: I have PS7 that I bought from Academic Superstore when I was in college. I skipped CS1, but now want to upgrade to CS2. Will I be able to use the $150 upgrade version, or do I have to pay full price? The reason I ask is because I'm going to download the upgrade from the Adobe store, and I don't want to fork over that money just to find it won't work. I can't seem to find an answer on Adobe's site.

Thanks!

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I am not sure about Adobe, but some software companies do limit the upgradablility of the educational discounted packages. My advice is to check with Adobe and get the definitive answer rather than assume every answer you get here will be the right one.....you don't want to get stuck with something useless to you after you've paid for it.....oh yeah!

3. robreed macrumors newbie

Academic upgrade from CS v1.0 or higher - 349.95

The software is regularly 379.95 (academic).

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=731756

Academic pricing is usually pretty consistent - meaning that the same license, same version, same product is probably going to be the same price wherever you buy it.

Hope this helps

4. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Yes, Adobe educational products may be upgraded to professional licenses with the purchase of an upgrade. Most all software venders support this practice. Well... I think Quark use to not allow this but they may have changed but Adobe is a big YES... just buy the upgrade (make sure the upgrade works from 7 to CS2.

Most all of my software was purchased while a student and then upgraded to professional via an update.

5. primalman macrumors 6502a

I have purchased many, many academic licenses ranging from single user to large volumes. My understanding at this time is that if you buy academic versions, that serial number can only be upgraded with academic upgrades. If you are no longer eligible for the academic pricing, you cannot buy a standard retail upgrade and have it work on your academic serial number. You must buy a new, full retail version.

6. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Does that also apply to Apple software?

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Yes, I upgraded my FCE 1.0 to 2.0. If you want to verify for yourself, then just call the apple store (online store not the walk in stores).

All apple, adobe, and macromedia software is sold for education with an educational license and they hope that you will be upgraded once in the professional field.