Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ac4lt

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Broadlands, VA
I recently bought a Mac Pro and did a crossgrade with Adobe to convert my PC photoshop over to Mac. Sure, I know it's not universal, but it should still be faster than on my old PC. At least it would be if I could get it to launch.

It installed just fine. But, it crashes during startup while the splash window is open. I've applied the 9.0.2 update, deleted what seemed like likely preference files, rebooted the Mac, run disk utility and all to no avail. Bridge and ImageReady start, but Photoshop just keeps on crashing.

I've done some google searches but haven't come across anything yet. Does anyone have any ideas that might help?

Thanks in advance!

Linda

ac4lt

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Broadlands, VA
Well, turns out that inspiration came just after posting this.

I noticed that it was dying just after displaying a message about twain drivers. I have an epson flatbed scanner and I had moved the Epson Scan app out of /Applications to another directory a few days ago trying to keep that directory as clean as I could. Didn't seem to hurt epson scan, but it sure whacked photoshop.

With things back in their installed locations, it seems to be up and running.

griffsgirl18

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2006
having the same problem

I think I might be having the same problem. I was searching the forum for help and came across your article. I never even though that moving the EPSON programs for a flatbed scanner would affect it. I read your posts and realized I had moved some Epson programs from my desktop a week ago into a EPSON folder in the Applications folder. How did you go about solving your problem exactly? Hopefully it well help!

Thanks,
griffsgirl18

ac4lt

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Broadlands, VA
I think I might be having the same problem. I was searching the forum for help and came across your article. I never even though that moving the EPSON programs for a flatbed scanner would affect it. I read your posts and realized I had moved some Epson programs from my desktop a week ago into a EPSON folder in the Applications folder. How did you go about solving your problem exactly? Hopefully it well help!

In the process of trying different things, I noticed that photoshop seemed to be dying right after it said "loaing twain drivers" or something similar to that during startup. That was what led me to think it might be related to the scanner software.

I just moved the epson software back into the Applications directory and it solved the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.