Photoshop CS2 Education Edition

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WSFrazier, Feb 13, 2006.

1. WSFrazier macrumors regular

I am about to order Photoshop CS2 from JourneyEd.com since I am in a University and might as well save some money.

My question before I finalize the purchase, is there a difference from the Retail version and Education version? Any Limitations or Functionality difference? I don't want to have half of Photoshop, lol.

2. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

Nope, there is no difference. ;) License is for Education thats why they offer it cheaper to students rather then a retail purchase. I own the same license.

3. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

Do you use any other adobe apps? As creative suite is only $100 more. Well worth the money as this is what I ended up buying from academicsuperstore.com which at journeyed.com its $10 cheaper then what I paid ;)

4. WSFrazier thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I am thinking about going all out and getting the Web bundle seeing that is what I do and it has a lot of apps I could play around with.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The only limitation is that it can't be upgraded i.e. there is no education upgrade price. If you want CS3 whenever it is released, then you have to purchase a full (educational) version all over again.

6. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

While this is true. The EDU price isn't that much more than the retail upgrade price. Plus if you decide to do this you can sell the previous EDU version and recoup quite a bit of the new price. I love working at a college! :D

7. rehlers macrumors member

rehlers

8. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Good to know on the upgrading.. But that said i still think buying a new EDU and selling the old one is a better way to go if your able to.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was worried about this. You never know. :cool:

I don't make my living off of Adobe products...yet.

10. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

I have the CS2 edu. suite premium, I bought it just before I received my degree. I am working on becoming successful with hopes that CS3 will seem like pennies to me. Oh, and a Porsche 911.

11. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

I wish it seemed like pennies to me too. And i don't need a Porsche a new f-150 would do me fine. I have CS2 as well. I usually only upgrade every other time. Usually not enough changes to warrent an upgrade each time.

12. milkybrain macrumors newbie

milkybrain

The main limit on the education version is that your not allowed to use it for commerical use. Meaning your not aloud to do freelance work etc and get paid. legally

13. rehlers macrumors member

rehlers

Yes you are, please read my post and the link to Adobe's web page where they explicately say that you may use the Educational software for commerical work.

14. WSFrazier thread starter macrumors regular

Adobe is beng very kind when it comes to the educational version.

15. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

While you apparently can upgrade the Adobe software I seem to recall that Adobe has continued Macromedia's policy of not offering upgrades for the education products the recently aquired in the merger. I am thinking of buying the Web bundle myself (theology students need creative outlets too).

16. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Does anyone know if I can sell my academic version?

I have the original v1.1 of the Creative Suite and the Production Suite Academic (including FCP 4 , DVD studio pro 3, etc..)

Can I sell these? I'd hate to just throw the discs away. I don't have them installed or registered.

17. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

Ordinarily when you sell software you have to transfer the license to the new user. If you never installed or registered the software AFAIK you never activated the license. So I don't see a problem selling the software. Just make clear to potential buyers that the software is the academic version but unused.

BTW, the Adobe CS academic can be upgraded to CS2 using the standard upgrade software. I called Adobe to verify this last year.

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, on both counts. When you are done with the Education software, you either keep it or destroy it. You may not sell, transfer or give away. In order to have that right, you have to pay for the full commercial version. It doesn't matter if you never registered it. You can't resell it. You accepte4d the license when you installed the software, regardless whether you chose to register.

Adobe License Transfer

You may, however, transfer all your rights to use the Software to another individual or legal entity provided that: (a) you also transfer (i) this agreement, (ii) the serial number(s), the Software and all other software or hardware bundled, packaged or pre-installed with the Software, including all copies, upgrades, updates and prior versions, and (iii) all copies of font software converted into other formats to such individual or entity;* (b) you retain no upgrades, updates or copies, including backups and copies stored on a computer; and (c) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this agreement and any other terms and conditions under which you purchased a valid licence to the Software. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not transfer education, pre-release, or not for resale copies of the Software.

19. jrk07 macrumors regular

I honestly thought you could not use any educational software for commercial use...Does anybody know if my educational licensed Final Cut Studio bundle can be used for commercial use?

20. Fireburst macrumors member

I don't think Apple are quite as generous with the licence terms as Adobe on this occasion.

21. revfife macrumors regular

revfife

You might also want to check out your campuses computer store. Ours has CS2 Premium Suite for $179. A VERY generous price.

22. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

so does mine

23. pineapplejuice macrumors newbie

here is the difference in content. minimal.

Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium (Educational Version)

The Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium Educational version contains the Educational versions of the Creative Suite components. Some content items are not included in the educational version, however the application components are the full versions of the software. Note that the PDF user guide or Online Help may refer to some items that are not included with the Educational version.

Content not available in Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium Educational Version:

• Photoshop CS2: Stock Art folder and contents
    • Illustrator CS2: Stock Photography, Professional Quality Clip Art, and SDK Folder
    • InDesign CS2: Stock Photography and Clip Art
    • GoLive CS2: CSS Redirect.action, Key Press.action, Random Links.action, Text Swap (ID).action, Last Modified (form).action, Last Modified (ID).action, Clock Date (ID).action, Digital Clock.action, Print Document.action
    • Acrobat 7 Professional: Extending Acrobat folder resources including Asian fonts, IT resources, and Developer Info.