Photoshop CS2 - Monday April 4, 2005!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adamfilip, Mar 28, 2005.

1. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/201785

check it out. some guy on Fredmiranda.com found a leaked press release on adobes site. the document has since been pulled.

here is the text from it

----------------------------------------
    The text:

Adobe Pushes the Boundaries of Digital Photography and Imaging with Debut of Photoshop CS2

New Vanishing Point Feature, Dramatic Camera Raw Workflow Enhancements, Customizable Menus and Smart Objects Headline Milestone Photoshop Upgrade

SAN JOSE, Calif. — April 4, 2005 — Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced Adobe® Photoshop® CS2, a major upgrade to the professional industry standard for digital image editing and creation. Available as a stand-alone software application or as a key component of Adobe Creative Suite® 2, also announced today (see separate press release), Photoshop CS2 software brings a new level of power, precision and control to the digital photography experience and to the overall creative process.

"Photoshop CS2 pushes the envelope with powerful features and simplified workflows that provide photographers and creative professionals the freedom to deliver stunning images," said Bryan Lamkin, senior vice president of Digital Imaging and Digital Video Products at Adobe. "In light of the four million digital SLRs expected to ship this year, more photographers than ever will be making Photoshop CS2 their digital darkroom of choice."

Advanced Tools for Digital Photographers, Graphics and Video Professionals

Photoshop CS2 integrates a new set of intuitive tools, including an enhanced Spot Healing Brush, for handling common photographic problems such as blemishes, red-eye, noise, blurring and lens distortion. Smart Objects allow users to scale and transform images and vector illustrations without losing image quality — as well as create linked duplicates of embedded graphics — so that a single edit updates across multiple iterations.

Responding to requests from film, broadcast and video professionals, Photoshop CS2 now allows non-destructive editing and the creation and editing of 32-Bit High Dynamic Range (HDR) images, ideal for 3D rendering and advanced compositing. FireWire Previews can also be viewed on a television monitor through a new direct export feature.

Photoshop CS2 users will test the limits of creativity with new tools like Vanishing Point and Image Warping. Vanishing Point cuts tedious graphic and photo retouching tasks by allowing users to clone, paint and transform image objects while retaining visual perspective. Reinventing workflows such as product packaging development, Image Warping makes it easy to fold, stretch, pull, twist and wrap an image into shape by selecting an on-demand preset or dragging custom control points.

Adobe Bridge and New Camera Raw Features Speed Imaging Workflows

With Photoshop CS2 software, finding and working with digital photos and images has never been easier. The popular File Browser has been upgraded to Adobe Bridge, which functions as a hub for productivity, imagery and creativity, providing multi-view file browsing and smooth cross-product integration across Adobe Creative Suite 2 software. Adobe Bridge also provides access to Adobe Stock Photos, a new stock photography service that offers users one-stop shopping — across five elite stock image providers — to deliver high-quality, royalty-free images for layout and design (see separate press release).

The new Camera Raw 3.0 workflow allows settings for multiple raw files to be simultaneously modified. In addition batch processing of raw files, to JPEG, TIFF, DNG or PSD formats, can now be done in the background without launching the main Photoshop executable. Integrated, non-destructive cropping and straightening controls allow raw files to be easily prepared for final output.

Simplifying Photoshop's rich interface, task-based menu presets make it easier to find the features needed for specific work. Users can create their own custom presets, highlighting favorite items and now have the ability to define event-based scripts and time-saving operations that execute automatically when triggered by actions, such as saving or printing a file. Multiple Layer Controls speeds editing, enabling the simultaneous selection and manipulation of numerous layers within a file.

Pricing and Availability

Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Mac OS X version 10.2.8 through 10.3.8, Microsoft® Windows® 2000 with Service Pack 4 or Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or 2, will begin shipping in May to customers in the United States and Canada, and will be available through Adobe Authorized Resellers and the Adobe Store at www.adobe.com/store. International versions are expected to begin shipping in late May and early June. Adobe Photoshop CS2 will be available for an estimated street price of US$599 and licensed users of any previous version of Photoshop can upgrade for US$149...

-----------------------------------

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Steve's Digicams had this too. Lets just hope that Adobe doesn't add activation to the list of "improvements" for the Mac version.

Otherwise, it seems on the surface to be a worthy version to upgrade to for those that use RAW.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, the Adobe RAW Convertor doesn't do as good a job (in my opinion) as the Nikon software. So, unless CS2 has some other features I want or need, I may not bother with the upgrade. A lower memory footprint and better use of multiple processors would be a nice improvement.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

The day Adobe uses Quark's activation system...I quit.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I don't know about the Nikon software, but the Canon software is MISERABLY slow for RAW. I only use it if I have a really sensitive image I am working on.

6. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

we just ordered the adobe creative suite at work today. I hope we qualify for a free upgrade if this is true.

7. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

As for RAW support although the options are vast in Photoshop the implementation (layout of the interface etc) is poor. I stick to using the Sigma Photo Pro conversion software which gives great results and very quickly (if only it had a batch prcessing option).
    At least Adobe actually support Sigma RAW though, something apple could take a lesson from.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

That's the clincher, isn't it?

9. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I do mostly landscape and macro photography so very few images get the same adjustments in RAW. On occasion it would be nice but not the clincher for me that it is for some.
    What I don't find too promising is the way is says 10.2.8 to 10.3.8 so it loooks like they haven't added any Tiger functionality. Maybe I was expecting to much but with Core Image it would great to see the GPU doing some work even if only on basic filters. No mention of 64bit support so I guess we're still stuck with the 2Gb RAM limit. It looks like a good upgrade but far too evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

10. jihad the movie macrumors regular

Edu Upgrade?

I just got CS at the beginning of this year, and I know the minute this ships, my whole college is upgrading. (Rochester Institute of Technology). How much do you think the Education Upgrade will cost?

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To each their own for RAW software.

I have played briefly with the Nikon software, and it is very powerful; maybe way too much when you compare it to something like C1, and most decidedly the PS RAW software.

12. Bear macrumors G3

I would have to believe Apple is working on adding more RAW formats to iPhoto. They probably started with what they perceived as the most popular cameras. Also, they probably started with the ones where the manufacturer provides an SDK so Apple wouldn't have to do as much work for adding those cameras.

I suspect Apple may do a point release of iPhoto in another month or so that adds more RAW formats to iPhoto.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Call up Adobe, I believe it is something like 30 or 60 days prior to a new release for a "cost of materials" upgrade.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In another thread, someone indicated that Adobe said no thanks at this time for Core Image support. This may have to do with Core Image not being supported across platforms.

Only time will tell....

15. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, the person can't really call Adobe until the new version is announced. And when it is announced, usually there will be info available on who qualifies for free and inexpensive upgrades on Adobe's web site.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Maybe they have changed their policies. But back before CS shipped and the net was filled with CS rumors, I did call Adobe about their upgrade policies. Forgot what they told me, but of course they said they had no new products at the time I called. :D

17. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

What with Apple's supposed release of Production Suite 2 next month and now this I'm going to be spending more on software then hardware. At the end of the day though it is a necessary evil to stay ahead. What annoys me a little is how the original production suite was launched together and you got a box with all the new apps, currently adobe are updating them one at a time this makes upgrading a pain. Why can't we have a Creative Suite 2 box with all new software at the same time?
    Does anyone know if you can buy the Photoshop upgrade and use an old Windows serial number ie; do you have to upgrade from a mac copy? It is my understading that the Photoshop upgrade will not work with a Creative Suite serial number.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The fat lady is tuning up... product activation is just around the corner.

We won't be getting this upgrade to the CS. Adobe have consistently failed to patch bugs in Photoshop 8 and Illustrator 11... you just know there'll be another CS along in 18 months -- Adobe are exhibiting monopolistic behaviour and turning into gougers of the highest order.

19. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I have to agree, up to version 7 of Photoshop adobe support was great (well at least good), there was a blip around version 5 but for the most part each version had an improvement worth paying for. CS in my opinion was different, it was attractive because it came as a package and also had 16bit support which was a clincher. However it is slow and some bugs remain unfixed. What updates have been issued actually make things worse for users with large amounts of RAM (ie; most pros these days) and we are advised not to use them. It is now a Catch 22 situation, the new version could well prove to be very useful at least to people who use it for photography but are we going to pay yet more performance penalties and have some of the fundermental problems left unfixed. If version 7 had 16bit support as well as better (free) RAW support I would probably have stuck with that as it is I will probably upgrade (at least after a few reviews have been written) in the hope that this new version will be what I had hoped version 8 was.
    I'm only young (21 this year) but will happily pay for the upgrade. I will be put off by any form of Quark like activation however, not because I intend to pirate it but because I want the ability to upgrade my hardware and use the software I've worked hard to buy without having to call adobe or have the software contacting home every 5 minutes just so I can open it and utilise it fully.
    Adobe couldn't seem to care less about adding features that users want (more RAM support, greater speed, better intergration with their other software etc) and the fact that apple has implemented features in an OS that could make PS the most powerful tool hands down yet they choose to ignore it (at least for now) puzzles me greatly. It is possible development was too far along to include support for Core Image but when you look at what else has been left out they are going down the Quark root of providing updates which add little but keep the money coming in on a yearly basis. I would rather they revised the product less often but made it a complete update, for this I would pay more as I think most others would as well. If it wasn't for the name and the prowess that PS has within the industry something like GIMP can do an awful lot that it can for very little money (it may even be free I forget).

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

18 months would be good, but it seems that Adobe is headed towards 9 to 12 months based on another thread here. Wouldn't be so bad if as if what is said about the improvements on CS2, is the norm and they lowered the upgrade costs to lets say $50.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good points. The same can be said about Apple and the upcoming Tiger release, and in the past the Panther release. With OSX 10.3, there are issues that still have not yet been addressed by the 10.3.8 update. But yet we will stand in line with our dollars to get 10.4 and CS2. We are the problem....

22. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I am going to hold off on PS CSv2, reasons being I have no real need to upgrade from my current version. A test drive might or might not change my mind. :)

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

As should anyone using a version that is doing them well on....

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Tempting... But I think I'll hold off, since I already have CS.

Unless they have a educational upgrade price which brings the cost of CS2 down to under $150ish, then I might consider it.

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I think Adobe needs to do a complete interface change. The method for selecting filters via pop-down menus and modal dialog boxes for levels and curves control is simply outdated. The interface has not changed much since version 2.5!

Photoshop needs a darker interface, ala Combustion or Shake, with non-modal dialog boxes and a more streamlined interface that doesn't rely too much on tabs or palettes. Its simply too cluttered right now.

Adobe needs to stop adding more and more features that may appeal to 1% of the user base.