Photoshop CS3 [beta] performance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smueboy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I haven't got around to trying out photoshop CS3 beta, but i use CS2 every day and i am interested in knowing how well CS3 performs on the Macbooks in comparison with CS2.
    I realise that CS3 is still in beta, but the official release should only be better than the beta. So what are peoples observations on the performance of photoshop CS3?

2. djdawson macrumors member

djdawson

I have both PS CS2 and the beta of CS3 on my MacBook (2.0 GHz & 2.0 GB). The most noticeable difference is how much faster CS3 starts up - less than 20 seconds for CS3 compared to about 50 seconds for CS2. I don't work on large images (just digital camera pics), so I don't notice much of a speed difference when doing basic editing, but Macworld magazine did some benchmarks and CS3 is measurably faster than CS2.

I've also heard that CS3 on Windows is quite a bit faster than CS3 on OS X, so my guess is that Adobe still has a bunch of optimization to do on the Mac version. I'd expect the final version of CS3 to be significantly faster than the beta.

I actually think some of the new CS3 features are as big a deal as being a native app on the Intel Macs. The new selection tool is very impressive, and the new Bridge app has some welcome additions. The various reviews online describe these new features better than I can.

So, I'll definitely be upgrading to CS when it's available.

HTH

3. smueboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Thanks - i knew that the start-up was much faster, but i'm glad to hear that some of the new features are also welcome additions.