Photoshop Elements 2.0 oddity

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Westside guy, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I have Photoshop 7 for my job, but when my daughter also needed some sort of photo editing program I purchased Photoshop Elements 2 (this was a few weeks before 3 was released). I installed it, and was a bit disappointed to find that it ran under Classic.

Well recently I was on her computer in a different account, and launched the program - and up it came in the typical OS X environment! I scratched my head, had her log in, she launched it - and it launched in Classic mode.

Finally (after totally failing to figure out what was happening) I just happened to "Get info" on the app. In her account this showed a selected checkbox labelled "Run in Classic mode". I un-checked that, and now she can run it without Classic.

So... what I don't understand is this: Since the program will run native in OS X, why the heck is the default to run it in Classic mode (at least under the account where it was installed)?
  2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...I have installed PS Elelments 2 on 3 of my computers and it never came up in Classic mose at all - always as a native OS X program....same for version 3 which I received just today. Something must have gone a bit wonky when you installed it?....oh yeah!
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    This seems to be a problem that is specific to your computer. When I install a new Carbon app on my computer or copy one from another computer--even a MacOS 9 computer, it defaults to MacOS X. You may have a corrupted preferences file somewhere.
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I had installed this as part of a package and it didn't use Classic mode at all.