Photoshop Elements 4 Crashes on Startup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dansgil, Nov 21, 2006.

1. dansgil macrumors regular

dansgil

Whenever I open PSE 4 is seems to crash on startup. Everything seems to work fine until it gets to the "Reading Workspace Modes" step and then it crashes. I've tried repairing permissions and reinstalling PSE. Is there anything else i can do to fix this problem?

Thanks

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Find the preference file, I don't have PSE, but I know where I would have started looking if I had. Look in ~/Library/Preferences/ it's either a single file or inside a subfolder (Photoshop CS has a subfolder called "Adobe Photoshop CS Settings" with a "Workspaces" folder inside...)

Copy the file(s)/folder to your Desktop and see if PSE starts... if it does, and you don't miss any essential settings, then just delete the file(s)/folder on the desktop... :)

3. dansgil thread starter macrumors regular

dansgil

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you recently installed or removed any fonts? Even if you haven't, you could try using Font Book to Resolve Duplicates and Verify your fonts... and clean out your Font Cache...

5. dansgil thread starter macrumors regular

dansgil

JUst tried this, didn't help :(

Anything else?

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try logging on to another user account (make one if you have to) and see if PSE starts from that (if it does we've narrowed the search for your problem down to your home folder). :)

7. dansgil thread starter macrumors regular

dansgil

It works with another account. I guess there's a problem with mine.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

...which (probably) takes us back to the ~/Library/ folder, some way or another...

You did look closely for anything photoshop related in there, right...? (And just to be sure: You know the ~/Library/ is the Library folder in your home folder and not the same as /Library/ or /System/Library/, right...?)

And, also just to be sure: You haven't installed any theme changers or other haxies, right...?

9. dansgil thread starter macrumors regular

dansgil

Yeah, I looked in my home Library, but removing the PSE4 pref file did nothing.

And no, I haven't installed any themes or hacks.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmm... weird...

Is there possibly a crash log somewhere...? (Check the Console in /Applications/Utilities/) I won't necessarily get something useful out of it, but someone might... (anyone with PSE can join in at any time ;)).

Worst case, if we don't find it, is you having to migrate over to a new user account, but it should be possible to find the cause...

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just remembered the first couple of things I should have thought of :)o):

- Have you installed any PSE plug-ins?

- Try moving the entire Adobe folder in ~/Library/Appliction Support/ out to the Desktop (like you did with the preference files).

12. dansgil thread starter macrumors regular

dansgil

No plugins.

I tried moving the Adobe folder in ~/Library/Appliction Support/ and no luck. :(

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sorry, but I'm running out of ideas here... :eek:

You could wait for a little while, and see if someone chimes inn with a better suggestion, and resort to the account-migration if nothing helps...

14. Phil A. Contributor

Phil A.

I had exactly the same problem, and the fix is really simple (although rather unintuitive).
    You need to delete the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Opera
    Yep, it's the opera preferences that screw things up. I think PSE 4 includes Opera and it seems some newer versions of Opera store things that PSE doesn't understand and when it tries to read them it falls over. You'll need to do it if you start opera again (although opera 9.00 seems to be OK)

Hope this helps

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Opera...?!? :eek:

Yeah, like I'd ever guess that... :eek:

16. Phil A. Contributor

Phil A.

It took me hours to figure out it was the Opera settings - I did it by systematically removing and adding back settings into the Application support folder. Of course, Opera is pretty far down the list alphabetically so it was a while before it became apparent, and PSE4 isn't the fastest kid on the block on my MBP!

17. dansgil thread starter macrumors regular

dansgil

I'll try the Opera thing later and post back. I'm currently transferring stuff from my eMac to my new MBP C2D. :D

18. trashy macrumors newbie

Phil A. - wow, just WOW....

One Google result - or I would have never figured this one out! I had to search for and remove all references to Opera, but that did the trick.

My big scanning project for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary is finally underway! Thanks for posting your solution!

19. willbravo macrumors newbie

Opera purge worked for me, too. I'd resigned myself to lugging the MPro into the Apple Store. *Just for emphasis, as mentioned, just deleting the app didn't work. But searching 'opera' and deleting (or, er, emptying the trash?) EVERYTHING connected to the install seems to have done the trick.

Many, many thanks!! :D

20. nigeltech macrumors newbie

You are a legend mate, a bloody legend. I had the same problem with PE3, renamed Opera in prefs to Aaaarrrgggghhhh-opera preferences, works fine now, thanks mate.
    Just a note - as soon as I started PE3, a new folder arrived in the ~/library/Preferences folder called "Opera Preferences", but PE3 runs anyway.
    Great

21. ManuK macrumors newbie

Photosho Elements crashed

Thank you so much Phil A. ! That was whaht I was looking since days. Photoshop Elements 4.0 crasehd all the time on my Mac OS X 10.5.6
    Delete Opera !
    Great !
    Manuk