Photoshop Elements Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Paragon, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Paragon macrumors member

Paragon

My partner is thinking of getting hold of Photoshop Elements sometime in the not so distant future, so I thought i'd download it so that she could try it out, and see what it was like, etc.

Downloaded the Tryout from Adobe.co.uk, got my pse3_mac_ue.hqx, and expanded it to it's Adobe Photoshop Elements.pkg form.

After installing the app in its default form, I ran the app. Splash page came up find. Clicked Try. The Photoshop Elements loading screen came up, saying loading this that and the other. When it gets to Loading Fonts.. the program unexpectedly quits.

Removed PS CS2 (only in Tryout form on this machine) and all of its bits and bobs via Spotlight. Restarted the machine. Removed Elements, and reinstalled it. Tried again, same problem.

No idea what to do next :confused: Any ideas?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's possible that you have a broken font file but I'm not sure how you could detect which one is faulty, other than trying each one.

3. Paragon thread starter macrumors member

Paragon

Just deleted one font that I didn't recognise from my font book, but I haven't actually installed any fonts on this machine that didn't come with OSX :confused:

EDIT: Tried to open the Photoshop Elements Help file, and all that happens is that the dock flexes about 3-4 pixels (as though it's about to open an application) then goes back to normal again. No actual icon appears..

Going through my fontlist, nothing seems to be making much difference..

4. Paragon thread starter macrumors member

Paragon

Been through practically every font I have, disabling and enabling, trying PS Elements in the intervals. Still happily crashing away :p

Any more ideas? Illustrator, Photoshop, DW, ran 'em all fine, no font 'issues' in the past.. Any thoughts welcome :)

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Have you tried looking in the logs (Console utility) to see what cries of despair Photoshop lets out before it dies, if any?

6. Paragon thread starter macrumors member

Paragon

Console is giving me:

Apr 29 22:54:28 Genesis crashdump[654]: Photoshop Elements 3 crashed
    Apr 29 22:54:29 Genesis crashdump[654]: crash report written to: /Users/Paragon/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Photoshop Elements 3.crash.log

The crashlog it's pointing at is huge, so i've grabbed the latest few strings. Here they are:

0x946bf000 - 0x946cefff libCGATS.A.dylib /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCGATS.A.dylib
    0x946d6000 - 0x946e2fff libCSync.A.dylib /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCSync.A.dylib
    0x94728000 - 0x94740fff libRIP.A.dylib /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRIP.A.dylib
    0x94747000 - 0x947b8fff libstdc++.6.dylib /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
    0x9609a000 - 0x960b0fff libJapaneseConverter.dylib /System/Library/CoreServices/Encodings/libJapaneseConverter.dylib
    0x960b2000 - 0x960d2fff libKoreanConverter.dylib /System/Library/CoreServices/Encodings/libKoreanConverter.dylib
    0x960e0000 - 0x960eefff libSimplifiedChineseConverter.dylib /System/Library/CoreServices/Encodings/libSimplifiedChineseConverter.dylib
    0x97c01000 - 0x97c0afff org.twain.dsm 1.9.2 /System/Library/Frameworks/TWAIN.framework/TWAIN
    0x98e4a000 - 0x98e4bfff com.apple.iokit.dvcomponentglue 1.7.9 /System/Library/Frameworks/DVComponentGlue.framework/Versions/A/DVComponentGlue

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

The most interesting part from the crash report is at the top, I think. The "Exception: ..." and the "Codes: ..." lines and the call stack for the thread that crashed (begins with "Thread X Crashed:").

8. Paragon thread starter macrumors member

Paragon

To ensure we iron out all the problimos here, I've saved the Photoshop Elememts crashlog, and popped it on the net for anyone who can help :)

Here's the link :)

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It seems to crash trying to convert a URL to a string.

I can't tell what causes it though since Photoshop Elements strips out the function names.

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Have you tried to re-download it and see if it happens again or make another user just to see what happens? Just a thought as before I bought Studio 8, really just for Flash 8 the download never worked for the 30 day trial so I got it from my design professor at school and it worked :eek:

11. Paragon thread starter macrumors member

Paragon

I'll try re-downloading it, see what that brings :)

*Wonders what the problem could have been if this does fix it* :p

12. Paragon thread starter macrumors member

Paragon

Nope, this version also fails to work.

Any more suggestions? (Also, has anyone else tried this download? Wouldn't have thought Adobe would provide a dud as a tryout :confused: )

13. Paragon thread starter macrumors member

Paragon

Tried a redownload/reinstall again, still no luck.

Well and truly stumped :confused:

14. krstone macrumors newbie

Go through this folder sequence: PE3 Application folder/Plug-Ins. Then look in the Import/Export Folder and see if there is a TWAIN driver. Move it to the desktop, restart your mac and see what happens.
    Ken