Photoshop Elements

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Laser, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Laser macrumors newbie

Ok...I'm not a big iphoto fan. I like a few aspects of the program, but it seems to control me more than me it, with respect to file structure. It also has limited processing ability.
    My question is if Adobe Elements is a nice replacement? Also, if I install Elements, will iphoto surrender all defaults willingly?

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I use iPhoto 6 as an organisational tool (as it really is), sit back and let it control file structure etc. Occasionally I use iPhoto's basic adjustment features, but mostly I use Elements for editing (simply right-click edit-in-external-editor and it opens the file in Elements for editing).

There's a 30-day Photoshop Elements try-out option on the Adobe.com site, which is what I started with to see whether I liked it. I did, so bought a copy recently. Elements does have a simple file browser, but it's not much better than using finder/preview.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is also what I do.

In terms of surrendering defaults, I think the answer is no. You can associate image types to PSE if you want, but they aren't associated with iPhoto to begin with by default (they should be associated with Preview).

In terms of controlling your camera, what you will probably want to do is open Image Capture from your apps folder. It will allow you to select what happens when the camera is plugged in. You will probably want to select "Open Image Capture," if your camera does not mount on the desktop, or maybe "Do Nothing" if it does.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

iPhoto is a great organisational tool and Photoshop Elements is a much better photo editor, which also generates web galleries and contact sheets.

I use PSE on my PowerBook quite a lot but I force a structure that isn't available from either iPhoto or PSE. I think it's more work than the average person wants to endure but it's consistent across the photo folder + the website folder.

Together, they should be a good mix by changing iPhoto preferences to choose PSE as its external editor.

What exactly is so bad about what iPhoto does? You can change the names of projects/rolls, right?

By the way, be aware that some of the touted features of PSE are only available in the Windows version.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I've never used elements before, but the creative suit 2 has something called "bridge" that is similar to iPhoto.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Aren't these mostly features that emulate the organizational capabilities of iPhoto anyway?

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Mostly, yeah.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Partly. That which would be most useful to the original poster. Plus, there are photo projects such as calendars. Thankfully, iPhoto 6 supports such projects.

9. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I too can recommend Elements. For my purposes (mostly photo editing and the occasional 'photoshopping' of random images), it supplies all the features I need. It might be prudent though to wait until version 4 comes out on the Mac (when exactly that'll happen though is anybody's guess). Elements 3 comes bundled on most if not all of the new Wacom tablets as well, so if you've ever thought about investing in a tablet that's something to consider.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I can search for it...there's a website that's been advertised on Dealnews and sites of that sort that sells Mac/PC OEM copies of PSE3 for about $35... even less than I paid for academic! :eek:

11. mkaake macrumors 65816

as a heads up, the wacom tablet bundles start at 89, if memory serves... so you pay the retail cost of elements, and you get the tablet (and a couple other pieces of software). not a bad deal...

12. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I wish I'd seen this before going for the retail Elements pack. I was considering a tablet, but assumed they were too expensive - teach me to look around a bit first! :(

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't even want a tablet, but that is a good deal! I guess you could always sell the tablet off and keep PSE3. FWIW, when I got PSE3, most OEM bundles were still PSE2....

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Intuos 4x5 is $199 retail but includes Corel Painter Essentials (think Fractal Design Dabbler) and PSE, as well as more pressure levels and dedicated buttons on the pad. It's also like getting a free tablet along with some nice software.