Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Well, I thought I posted this already on here, but maybe im just crazy. Anyway I was wondering if anyone know how to get a double of one person in the same picture? I cant find any tutorials on it online, butit seems like you would do somethign with layers and the clone stamp. Here's an example of a picture that this dude did that shows the effect I want.

8yfdbs.jpg

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So do you have a separate second image of the person you want to include? In the example you posted, the second picture of the person is clearly not the same photo as the first one -- it was cloned in from *another* photo.

The basic idea of what you want is to use the magnetic lasso or the magic wand tool to select just the person, paste them as a new layer in the image, and then adjust levels on that layer to make the color and lighting match. You may also want to play around with feathering or blurring a little bit to make sure there is no fringe around the person.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The clone stamp is of no value in what you want to do. As mkrishnan says, the best way is to "cut" the image out of the photo with the magnetic lasso, or to use a copy of the pic and erase everything around it. Using the Gaussan blur will help touch it up some and paste it in as a new layer.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

rfeindel

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
You could also just lock down your camera on a tripod and take 2 pictures. One of the subject in one position, and one in another. Then composite it together with some masks in Photoshop

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Use the Extract tool in PS to get nice clean edges. You may have to do them in parts on a separate layer and then recombine them.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
oh thanks yall...that's all they did?...i thought they did something more complicated than that like flipped it horizontal and then used a clone stamp...i appreciate the help...that should be fairly simple to do...i didnt even know they used two separate pics...not a bad job at all

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
that was more than likely done like rfiendel said.

camera on tripod. two photos taken. boy in different positions. then it's REALLY easy.. just put the one photo on top of the other, line it up and delete the area of photo #2 that is covering up Boy #1.

Anyway, as an alternative to using the Lasso or Magic Wand tool to select and cut our your figure, you could use the Pen tool to draw a path around it. Then turn the path into a selection. I've found that this method allows me more control over the shape.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
thanks yall...yes I like the pen the best too because it comes out with the cleanest edges to me, but it also takes the most diligence

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
the easiest way to do this (with the most control)

ok first indeed 2 images will work best (because the light will fall different on the 'object' because of a different spot)

but in any way

1st indeed make sure sharpness blur colour is matched on both images

put the one you want to insert on a layer

then use layer mask
image1
and brush over it (set foreground colour to white, background to black image2 and when you brush too much, just switch foreground/background colour

in this example image3 I just made a black background layer and a white foreground layer to show you how I brushed some white in to it (when I have too much just press X to switch foreground/background colour and brush away)

when the result is what you want it to be -> flatten the layers and your'e done...

PS: the position of the feet & the way the light reflects in his neck shows this image was made with 2 shots... no flipping was used...

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
ok I tried all of these and none of them worked...please tell me what im doing wrong

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
The easiest way is to set up the camera on a tripod, and make sure it doesn't move. Take one snap, change the persons position, and then snap again. This way, all you have to do is cut out one of the people - not neatly - just go straight down next to it, and then put it on top of the other pic.

Hope this makes sense.

::20ROGERSC::

bigredsixer

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2005
20rogersc said:
The easiest way is to set up the camera on a tripod, and make sure it doesn't move. Take one snap, change the persons position, and then snap again. This way, all you have to do is cut out one of the people - not neatly - just go straight down next to it, and then put it on top of the other pic.

Hope this makes sense.

::20ROGERSC::

This is the easiest way to do it! If you have the luxury of taking the picture. Slight movement can be fixed very easily.

usclaneyj said:
Anyway, as an alternative to using the Lasso or Magic Wand tool to select and cut our your figure, you could use the Pen tool to draw a path around it. Then turn the path into a selection. I've found that this method allows me more control over the shape.

Definately another good way, this is what I generally do. Creating a path around the object allows you to easily edit it later, and also lets you export it into other programs with ease. It takes time but once its done...its done forever and easy to edit.

Joe-Kun said:
the easiest way to do this (with the most control)

ok first indeed 2 images will work best (because the light will fall different on the 'object' because of a different spot)

but in any way

1st indeed make sure sharpness blur colour is matched on both images

put the one you want to insert on a layer

then use layer mask
image1
and brush over it (set foreground colour to white, background to black image2 and when you brush too much, just switch foreground/background colour

in this example image3 I just made a black background layer and a white foreground layer to show you how I brushed some white in to it (when I have too much just press X to switch foreground/background colour and brush away)

when the result is what you want it to be -> flatten the layers and your'e done...

PS: the position of the feet & the way the light reflects in his neck shows this image was made with 2 shots... no flipping was used...

Here is a Great way. This way takes the longest by far, but it allows for softer edges over the layered picture and looks more realistic up close. This is the way any school would teach you, but "by the book" isnt always the best.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
bigredsixer said:
Here is a Great way. This way takes the longest by far, but it allows for softer edges over the layered picture and looks more realistic up close. This is the way any school would teach you, but "by the book" isnt always the best.

its faster than any other way, I know it is... why? well you never lose data so you don't need to go back in the history to see that you only had 50 stages and you needed stage 51 :p you brush it back wherever you want it :p
and I use it all the time, its fast once you get used to it..

its not 'by the book' because I've learned it at my old job from a collegue who saw me work with layers and erasing the part that I didn't need (and just remember this was before the history palette was born :D)
and he told me there is nothing wrong with what you do... but what will you do when you brushed too far???

its all about control...

and in photoshop there are allways 10 ways to do the same in a different way, just choose the path you like ;-)

PS: my way looks like its by the book because I made some screenshots :p
PPS: don't trust me I'm a professional hahahaha ;-)

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
image1

that's what had me confused...I had to set the foreground to black and the bg to white and then it worked...thanks everyone!

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
The way that I would do is to use the pen tool or the lasso tool (preferably pen tool) and trace your way around the object, a person in this case. The after that copy it to a new layer and the do some level tweaking just make it look more realistic and not so cut and paste. It may take a while to get a good look.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
All the above are wonderful suggestions, but my 2¢ is to hire a set of twins and dress them in the same clothes :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
jayscheuerle said:
Looks to me like he took two pictures and seemed them together where the door meets the frame. Notice all the reflected yellow light back onto the frame and the wall on the right from his shirt, but there is none on the door itself when there definitely should be...

Yep - that's what I was thinking - especially if you just clone a person, the perspective would be all off unless you set up the pic face on.

The sample looks to me as though he put the camera on a tripod and had it take a couple pics and then just stitched the two together.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.