Photoshop help please

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by rick snagwell, Mar 23, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

can anyone please do me a favor?

my new fiancè and i are trying to make 'save the date' magnets, and we have a picture we would like to use on it, but just want the focus on us and the background blurred.

if you can help me, please PM me, would rather not put the picture up there.

thanks for any help!

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 6502

DUCKofD3ATH

Assuming you have Photoshop, select the portion of the photo you DON'T want blurred, then copy and paste into a new layer. (If you're not up to speed with Photoshop selection tools, here's a good tutorial: 8 Ways to Get the Selection You Want in Photoshop/ .)

Now that the image of you and your fiancè is safe on a new layer, select the original layer and apply a Gaussian blur (Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur...).

That's it!

4. macrumors regular

Use Iris blur in CS6

If you have CS6, just use Iris Blur. Or you could try the new tilt-shift blur, but Iris will probably work best.

5. macrumors 604

chrono1081

There's a fancy way to grade the blur with a depth mask but I forget how to do it :( (I saw the trick on Digital Tutors, not sure if anyone else knows it).

6. macrumors regular

Thanks for that insight. Although its actually an image editing suite and once you have edited your images you take them else where to use them. If you create a logo, advertisement or marketing piece solely in Photoshop, you should be shot.

7. macrumors 6502

I understand the sentiment, and I can't tell you the number of times I've seen layouts for brochures etc. built in Photoshop. I'm not a fan of that either, but apparently not everyone knows or cares about the old school methods of keeping vector as vector and raster as raster. IMO, that is the best way to do it, though raster effects in InDesign and Illustrator are very convenient and I have and will continue to use them. :)