Photoshop how to question - very newbie esque

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swindmill, Mar 8, 2007.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I am trying to alter the menu bar icon for BluePhoneElite and I am having some trouble. There are two .tiff files that make up the icon: one for the phone icon, and one for the power/signal status that show up on either side of the phone icon. I have changed the phone icon, and it is not centered in between the power/signal meters. How can I move the phone icon over using Photoshop to put it directly in the middle? The two pictures below show what happens when I simply replace the old icon with the new. The file that creates the status meters on either side is untouched aside from color.

[​IMG]

Original is in the menu bar in this picture:

[​IMG]

...hope this makes sense

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

compare it to the original you replaced. check the pixel widths.

3. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

It seems that it was off-centered due to the difference in shape of the new icon and the replaced icon. I had to enlarge the canvas size to the size of the old icon and move the new icon over slightly. It still isn't perfectly centered; it's either too far one way or too far the other way, and I can't find a way to get it right where I want it. Photoshop doesn't let me (rather I don't know how) to move it slightly one way. I've enlarged the canvas size to the largest it can be and blown the image up to %800 and moved it as slightly as it will allow me. Anything else I can do?

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Use the arrow keys to move it one pixel at a time (you have to have the Move tool selected). One pixel is of course the smallest amount you can move it. If you just can't get it centered it's possible the icon is a row of pixels too long and you have to cut a little off.