Photoshop keeps quiting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vividcreative, Dec 12, 2006.

1. vividcreative macrumors newbie

I have CS2 and out of no where photoshop keeps quiting on me. It generally lets me work for 2 or 3 minutes before saying it has encountered a program error. I have tried resetting my preferences... but that does not help. I recently installed some system updates that my computer automatically checks.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreiciated. Thank you.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try another user account. Does it open from there? :)

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Which updates did you just install? Were they CS2 updates? SecurityUpdates? Is VersionCue2 enabled and running? There was some history where SecurityUpdatexxx broke some Adobe apps because of unreadable language. I don't have the link at hand.

4. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

I have had the same problems with CS2. the old CS works good enough for me. i hate dealing with crashing apps

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, think about it for a moment.

If an app consistenly quits, there's a problem with what is being loaded.

If it only quits when opening specific documents, then chances are its the documents that are the problem.

If several apps all quit, randomly or upon opening, it's more likely System software, permissions or hardware.

If it is one program that quits, repeatedly, then it is either that program, or the things that program automatically opens on startup (plug-ins, fonts, prefrerences). So the obvious step is to replace the application, the preferences and/or the plugins or fonts.

First: repair permissions. Test.
    *Second: drag the preferences out of your Library (~user/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.photoshop.plist and any similar). Test
    Third: Remove and reinstall Photoshop from the original CD. Test.

*note: Effectively, this is what logging into the Mac as a different user accomplishes, that is, using a different set of Preference files.

6. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

I have had the same problems with CS2. the old CS works good enough for me. i hate dealing with crashing apps

7. vividcreative thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed a variety of system updates including istockphotos, versionCue, Firmware, and Photoshop....

Thank you for the tips. I will give them a try.

Thanks again.