Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thirdkind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
I installed a few TrueType fonts on my Power Mac (10.4.3), and while they show up in Font Book just fine, Photoshop CS2 isn't displaying them all. The same fonts work fine in Fireworks. Problem is, I hate Fireworks.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
First off, have you tried quitting and restarting Photoshop or even rebooting the Mac?

I've found that Photoshop CS1 can sometimes be the least responsive to font activations in either Suitcase or Fontbook and often needs restarting in order to use the font.

thirdkind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
I tried restarting Photoshop, restarting my Mac, removing and reinstalling the fonts...everything I could think of. No dice.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Repaired permissions? Checked the info on the font file itself? Can you use them in other Adobe apps or any other apps apart from Fireworks for that matter?

Where are the fonts currently stored? Are they being copied when adding them to FontBook (under Preferences)?

thirdkind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
Blue Velvet said:
Repaired permissions? Checked the info on the font file itself? Can you use them in other Adobe apps or any other apps apart from Fireworks for that matter?

Where are the fonts currently stored? Are they being copied when adding them to FontBook (under Preferences)?

Repaired permissions and validated all the font files with FontBook. They don't show up in any Adobe apps at all, but they work in everything else.

I first tried installing them with FontBook, then copied them to the /Library/Fonts folder manually, and they still don't work.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Just as an experiment, mind.

What happens if you copy them into:
Root/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts

I'm curious about one thing though... some fonts have permission settings (the permission bit) and I'm wondering if that somehow maybe involved.

As an example, I recently downloaded a free but Macromedia copyrighted TrueType font that would not permit itself to be embedded in a PDF no matter how I tried to create that PDF. The font worked fine within Adobe apps but when it came to creating the PDF, a warning dialog was displayed, even when going through Distiller and the font was replaced by Courier.

As it was just display type, I rendered it as outlines in Illustrator then placed it into my document as an EPS whch then distilled fine.

Or there simply may be something flaky about the encoding on the file itself.

If it's just a short piece of text, could you not find a work-around like creating your piece of typography in Fireworks or another app and then exporting it as a Photoshop-friendly file?

I appreciate you may want that vector crispness if you can create outlines in another app but a bitmap 1200-1800ppi TIFF would also hold up under most circumstances...

anthonyb

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Pennsylvania
I seem to be having somewhat of a similiar problem.

For some reason, sometimes my fonts just wont show up in Fireworks CS3. Im not really sure but it seems to be the most troublesome when it comes to using fonts.

For example, I cant get the font Nevis to show up on my choice of font lists.

So far I have reinstalled the font through fontbook and manually. I have also repaired my font permissions as well as my entire system. I have also restarted my computer many times. I have even tried what was previously mentioned and installed the font in the adobe folder.

For some reason it just does not want to show up, but will display in Illustrator CS3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Anthony

Intel 2.4ghz MBP 10.5.3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.