photoshop on an ibook?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sann, Nov 14, 2002.

1. sann macrumors newbie

Nov 14, 2002
    im a visual arts student and was looking at an ibook 800. i would definately max out the ram
    i am going to be working with photoshop most of the time on my new machine. will it be able to handle intense photoshop work?
    also, can i acheive higher screen resolutions when i hook it up to another monitor?
    dont really have enough money for a tibook...
  2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Re: photoshop on an ibook?

Not natively, but you might be able to if you do this but I don't know if it'll work with the newer ones.
  3. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I would recomend you getting a powerbook G3 500 (Pismo), they cost about $1000 and they are 10.000 times better deal than an iBook, you can even upgrade to a G4 500 for about $200.

iBooks at not the best deal in the market, they are sort of cute looking and that is it, the pismos are faster, more upgredable and cheaper.

Right now I have 2 of them and I'm doing Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects with them. The best thing is that I have both computer connected togather and I can do render using booth at same time (a reder farm), all that for less the $2000 in total.

If I can make some more money I could get a third Pismo.
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I'm working on a Graphics Design degree right now. We use both G3s and G4s at school.

G3s are perfectly fine with Photoshop, but you would notice a huge boost with certain filters and effects on a G4.

At home, I use a PM G3/400 with a very fast hard drive and a dual G4/800 and, on the G4, Photoshop 6.01 is very usable, even in Classic mode in Mac OS X. Still, it's smooth on the G3. Certainly, an 800 MHz iBook with a fast hard drive would be comfortable with Mac OS X and Photoshop 7.
  5. sann thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 14, 2002
    the pismos specs dont look too hot
    id like that extra vram and hard drive space

at school
    we do have QS 800 G4 towers, which are nice
    i work often on G4 400 towers with like 256 ram (under OS 9.2)
    photoshop works real nice
    sometimes filters are a tad slow
    but thats about it

is there gonna be a huge difference between processors?
  6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    my lombard could run PS great (I've edited thousands of pictures on it), so I don't see why the ibook would have any problems.

personally I would be temped with the pismo + G4 chip assuming you put a great hard drive in there too, as they're far more rugged machines