photoshop or similar

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by continuum, Sep 22, 2004.

1. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

Are there any good freeware apps that can be used as photo editors?

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Good ones? ummm iPhoto...? Wait do you have iLife...

Hmmm

If you need crappy ones then I can give you a whole list. :D

3. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

no.

there is no good freeware or open souce that can even come close to photoshop

4. winwintoo macrumors 6502

If you are going to be a hobby PhotoShopper, there's PhotoShop Elements which has many of the features of PhotoShop and does a decent job for around $100. Version 3 was just announced with many new features, it will ship early in November I think.

Margaret

5. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

i basically just want a hobby editor...nothing too powerful that i'll never get advanced on. i'll check out gimp and elements. thanks!

6. winwintoo macrumors 6502

There's lots of good tutorials on the web for Elements and lots of good books with good ideas for how to use it. I have an earlier version of PhotoShop and then rather than upgrade PhotoShop, I went with Elements and haven't regretted it.

I did download Gimp and tried it, but went back to Elements - Gimp was a bit awkward in comparison.

Margaret

7. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, there is PixelNhance, ToyViewer, and GraphicConverter (not free). I have Photoshop and still use PixelNhance and ToyViewer for many things. The interface in PixelNhance is way easier than Photoshop for the same processes.

I also use Create (from Stone Design, also not free and is more for illustration and layout) for some things... mainly text as Cocoa apps work better with fonts than Carbon apps (even Adobe's apps).

There is also TIFFany3, which is no longer supported. It is about the same price as Photoshop Elements. The developers are working for Apple now on CoreImage, so much of the TIFFany3's functionality should be available to all developers with the release of 10.4.

8. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

sounds like way more than i need... with Gimp I need X11.... i have OSX10.3, doesn't X11 come with it? i vaguely remember something when installing 10.3

9. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

10. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Gimp is definately a powerful editor. Yes, it takes some getting use to (especially with Apple's X11, you have to click stuff twice (once to get the window in focus, once to press the button or whatever) but hey it's free, what do you expect? I love playing around with script-fu too.