Photoshop & OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pask, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Pask macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006
    I've only just today recieved my first Mac(iMac 24") and it is amazing, I am truly blown away, even though I don't know where to start.
    Anyway, I ordered a bundled copy of photoshop which I tried to install, but didn't work, the bundle is photoshop 6(full) with an upgrade to CS2.
    I've since done some searching and found out that PS6 doesn't run on OS X which I know I should have researched better but I thought a Mac version would run on any Mac, I'm learning fast!
    I would just like to know if there is anything I can do to install this bundle, its knocked the shine off my first day with an amazing machine as I bought the Mac almost entirely to process my photography, take a look at my website if you wish

2. elppa macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    If it's anything like the CS1 upgrade:

Run the CS2 update - it will search for an installed copy of photoshop on your system...

Then it won't find one (obviously, as you haven't installed one).

Then it will ask you if you want to manually locate the copy - or - enter a serial number from an old version of photoshop.

Enter the serial number from version 6.

You should now be able to install a full version of Photoshop CS2.

Edit: Beautiful photography by the way.. absolutely stunning. I don't know if you had a copy of photoshop for the PC before? - but Adobe will normally exchange it for the Mac version for a small cost (and visa versa). If this is the case it's probably not a good time to tell you as it seems you have already purchased copies.

A Mac version would run on any Mac, until this year. Mac OS X had a layer called "classic" which let you run non Mac OS X applications. Problem is now Apple have switched to intel processors, there is no easy way to get classic applications to run.
  3. Pask thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006
    Sorry I should have said I already tried that and the serial didn't work.
    But the PS6 is windows and mac so I installed it on my laptop to try out the serial and it worked just fine. On the disk it says 'For bundles only, not to be sold seperately' which says to me I have to install PS6 first then when I run the upgrade it will find the old version and carry on the install.

I'm glad you liked my gallery, the gallery I linked is quite out of date but if you want to see more of my up to date images please look here
  4. elppa macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    Sorry - I'm done with suggestions.

Best thing to do is probably give Adobe a call. You can get all of their UK contact details here:
  5. Pask thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006
    After a short telephone call to Adobe I had Photoshop CS2 installed in minutes.
    They bypassed the serial number input for PS6 during the CS2 install after verifying that serial number was legitimate, he couldn't explain why it didn't work for me, but anyway all sorted now.
  6. elppa macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
  7. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

Sep 18, 2006
    Wow those photographs are amazing. Are those unedited and the colors unenhanced (made up word?)?

If so, I am so moving to wherever it is you live lol.