Photoshop performance nose dive on a G5 dual-core 2Ghz

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by weeag, Nov 15, 2006.

1. weeag macrumors regular

Photoshop has been running great for a while then over the last two days it has gotten REALLY slow. Basic editing it does ok with but when applying filters (especially smart sharpen) it is 10 minutes to do what took 30 seconds. Saving also takes about twice as long.

I've not done anything different to the system, no new hardware or software and i have the same programs running in the background as usual (itunes, folding at home, firefox, sometimes indesign, illustrator and or dreamweaver). I've closed down all but PS and it is still slow - It's just a sudden 'random' drop in performance.

I've tried resetting a couple of times and running the maintenance scripts via terminal but it is still very sluggish. Other programs appear to be running fine.

Any thoughts as to what could be going on?

2. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

3. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

No, HD space is fine - I've got 77+ gig free.

And as a side note, I've got 3 gig of Ram, and istat shows 1.2 gig of that free and unused. PS uses about 130% of the cpu while running smart sharpen and I can jump around between programs with no problem while it's running the filter.

4. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Maybe try working with an old project, where PS ran fine. Maybe it's your current project that is the problem?

If it is a system-wide thing, it would affect other apps. If you have a good feel for how Handbrake runs on your system, try that. It should give your processor and memory sub-systems a good workout.

In case it is some user setting that is corrupt or whatever, try using a different user account to do the same sorts of things in PS. If it runs normally, it could be a corrupt or incorrect setting.

Well, just some ideas to narrow it down. Good luck :)