Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
I am going to have my room painted, but i need to choose a color. I need to know what will look best, so i want to do it in photoshop. I am ok in photoshop, just it will be my first time using it on the mac.. What is the best way to change the colors of my walls>

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I am unsure of your question. Do you want to know how to simulate the appearance of your room in photoshop?
Are you taking an actual picture of the room (and thus walls you are considering painting) to process in photoshop? - just checking

What version of photoshop are you using? Generally the mac vs windows versions of photoshop are similar in function.

It should be pretty easy... Open your picture and use the magic wand tool to select the wall (it is a color seeker) - then adjust your color pallete and either paint it with a large paint brush tool or the flood fill tool.

I can do it and do a few screenshots for you if need be.

of course you can go to the hardware store and get several of those pieces of paper that represent the paint color (get a few colors) and stick them to your wall and back up and look. I've painted walls numerous times and decided that way. The beauty part is you can always paint over it if you don't like it.

hope I explained ok

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
i have cs. But wont if i just paint over it, the walls will not retain there texture and it will look very fake. I took an actual picture of my room, and i want to see what it will look like in different colored walls.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jer446 said:
i have cs. But wont if i just paint over it, the walls will not retain there texture and it will look very fake. I took an actual picture of my room, and i want to see what it will look like in different colored walls.

Don't paint over it -- I agree. Perhaps what you could do instead at that step is use the Enhance -> Adjust Color -> Replace Color tool -- you pick the original color from the wall, and then the color you are thinking of replacing it with, and then you adjust the fuzziness so that the whole wall is recolored, but it still looks realistic. This way you preserve the texture -- the fuzzy adjustment will change colors that are close to the original color to colors that are close to the new color (but not exactly the same, which is why you keep the texture).

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
mkrishnan said:
Don't paint over it -- I agree. Perhaps what you could do instead at that step is use the Enhance -> Adjust Color -> Replace Color tool -- you pick the original color from the wall, and then the color you are thinking of replacing it with, and then you adjust the fuzziness so that the whole wall is recolored, but it still looks realistic. This way you preserve the texture -- the fuzzy adjustment will change colors that are close to the original color to colors that are close to the new color (but not exactly the same, which is why you keep the texture).

good point - good idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.