Photoshop question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eyeon, Jul 17, 2005.

1. eyeon macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    Montana, USA
    I am quite proficcient in Photoshop and the Adobe CS lineup, and have these products for years. However, there is one thing that I cannot figure out... I would like to prepare a folder full of photos for the web. I would like to set up an action, or somehow automate Photoshop (or ImageReady) to resize all of the images to 700px in the longest direction, add a white 15px border, and save the file as a high quality jpeg. I know that there is an option to automate a web picture gallery, which is close to what I am looking for, but it does not add the 15px border, and also creates thumbnails and a web environment that I'm not interested in using... I know I could just delete what I don't want, but... is there a way to set it up to do this?

Thanks in advance.
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I'm probably not the best one to answer this, but I would think that you could probably do something like this using AppleScript, but I'm not sure. Are you using Panther or Tiger? Perhaps Automator could help (I don't have Tiger :( )

Maybe some of our programming friends could help here.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  3. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    I believe what you have to do is run through the process once on one image and then save your steps as an action. Don't really know, I usually am just batch-processing stuff.
  4. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2005
    As far as the border goes, couldn't you throw a 15px stroke into your action preset? Or do you not know how to make your own? I've been planning on throwing together a flash tutorial on how to do this, but for now, here's a tut on how to do it:
  5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

Jan 25, 2005
    Make your own action.

Open PS > Actions (pallete) > New action. Now set that recording and do what you need to do with one of your pictures (i.e. resizing, creating border, saving).

Now go File > Automate > Create Batch Droplet. Now choose the set and action name where you saved the action (i know that didnt make sense :D).

You should then have a lovely little droplet, which you can drop your files onto (without even loading photoshop) and it'll do all the business for you. No Automator needed!

You may have to create 2 droplets, 1 for if the image is wider horizontally, 1 for if the image is wider vertically.

Hope that helps.