photoshop replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pdpardue, Jun 5, 2005.

1. pdpardue macrumors regular

Hey everyone out there, I am lookig for a temporary replacement to photoshop. I only have iPhoto 2, and it doesn't do what I want. So I suppose you are asking what I want... Just something to do some color correction, image resizing, basic text and drawing, cloning and similar, and what ever else I can think of...
    So basicly like photoshop light or something. I don't want to spend much money, well none really, so I was wondering if there was any basic freeware program out there...

Thanks, and sorry if this has already been covered.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Photoshop Elements is under $100 and really does everything that most people will ever use - it's quite good. I've got Photoshop 7, but hardly ever use it because Elements 3 covers everything I need to do - especially now that I've found the free third-party actions/effects (Grant's tools, Earthbound Light) that unlock things like curves.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What does "temporary" mean? Adobe has one month free trials of PS/CS and possibly PSE.

5. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

If you want something simple and free, try Seashore. Don't let the version number fool you -- it's been my primary image editor for about 6 months, and if you only need basic features, it's definitely suitable for daily use.

6. dhracer88 macrumors regular

If you're a student and can save up a little, you can go to http://www.academicsuperstore.com and get photoshop elements for a cheap price. GIMP seems like an OK option, if you're not used to adobe. I downloaded it and tried it, but nothing was where I wanted it to be (layers & tools). I really like PSE, it works great for my intermediate needs. I'll be upgrading to CS 2 in the fall for a digital imaging class though...

7. allpar macrumors 6502

Not to drag up an old thread, but does anyone know of Elements will ever be updated to Universal Binary? I noticed there was no version five for Mac.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the running idea is that 5.0 is being skipped for Mac and then 6.0 will come after CS3 and will be universal. From what I understand, much of 5.0 (compared to 4.0) has to do with the portion of PSE that competes with iPhoto, which Adobe de-emphasizes, naturally, for Mac users.