Photoshop Scratch disk External

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eyepoper, May 11, 2005.

1. eyepoper macrumors newbie

Hi there people,

I got the Mac mini and I`m running Photoshop and want to put my scratch disk on an External USB2 Hard drve ( 7200rpm 3.5inch Drive in an enclosure).
    How can I setup that? Cause photoshop doesn`t see the extn-drive in the settings of scratch disk.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Any one could help me pleasee!!

Thnx in advance

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How is that drive formatted?

From Photoshop CS Help:

The following guidelines can help you assign scratch disks:
    • For best performance, scratch disks should be on a different drive than any large files you are editing.
    • Scratch disks should be on a different drive than the one used for virtual memory.
    • Scratch disks should be on a local drive. That is, they should not be accessed over a network.
    • Scratch disks should be conventional (non-removable) media.
    • Raid disks/disk arrays are good choices for dedicated scratch disk volumes.
    • Drives with scratch disks should be defragmented*regularly.

3. eyepoper thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a Fat32 Drive formatted with 2 Partitions on it. Got some stuff on it also.
    Here is the verified disk::

Verifying volume “GAMES ****”
    ** /dev/disk2s2
    ** Phase 1 - Read FAT
    ** Phase 2 - Check Cluster Chains
    ** Phase 3 - Checking Directories
    ** Phase 4 - Checking for Lost Files
    Next free cluster in FSInfo block (4) not free
    fix? no
    37199 files, 3205728 free (200358 clusters)
    Mounting Disk

Verifying volume “PROGRAM”
    ** /dev/disk2s5
    ** Phase 1 - Read FAT
    ** Phase 2 - Check Cluster Chains
    ** Phase 3 - Checking Directories
    ** Phase 4 - Checking for Lost Files
    Next free cluster in FSInfo block (1246) not free
    fix? no
    71243 files, 552256 free (17258 clusters)
    Mounting Disk

2 non HFS volumes checked
    2 volumes passed verification

How can I setup the photoshop scratch disk to an extrn-usb2 hard drive (7200 rpm 3.5inch)

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's just possible that Photoshop may need a HFS+ volume to work with, not FAT32.

5. benwa02 macrumors 6502

So what do you recommend for a setup? Having 2 internal hard drives one with the OS, files and your apps and the second one just for a scratch disk? What about doing a raid setup with 2 internal hard drives? Would that perform better.

I just wonder where the OS, apps, scratch disk and your files go on the two drives. How they are all seperated or grouped.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I have smallish fast internal drives for scratch disks on my work & home machines. They also act as scratch disks for Illustrator and some sound apps I play with occasionally...

7. benwa02 macrumors 6502

So I take it that there should just be a drive designated as a scratch disk and nothing else? That is a good idea to have a small internal drive, because it doesn't cost much for a small drive nowadays.

How much performance do you notice having a scratch disk. I think I will be looking into getting a small hard drive in a couple of weeks for my new PM.

8. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I would defer to whatever Blue Velvet or any of the other multi-media savvy members post. From what I understand the OS uses whatever HD it is installed on (booted on). Photoshop, Illustrator, FCP, and others use what ever drive is designated by the user (by default, the system disk.) I work minimally with bitmaps and vector drawings minimally, but I work with audio and video extensively. If I were going to follow good media-editing procedure, I would have my system disk/application disk as one drive. I would then have another disconnected drive as a scratch, preburn, and static media holder. I would have a third drive for my media clips. At work, an ideal situation, I run three drives + like that, except that the "clips" are stored on a large network server.

Again, Blue Velvet,Vinow, MoxyMike, SunBaked, and a bunch of others that you see post regularly here most likely have better advice. Look around, there I tend to over do things, but it is always good practice to have your system scratch disk different than your applications scratch, even if your using raid striping. This is what I pratice, so I think I can preach it.

9. eyepoper thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is people that I`ve got the Mac Mini and overclocked. I`m collecting moeny to buy the Hitachi internal 2.5 7200rpm 60Gb drive. So what I got right now is a ext-Usb2 HDD.

So you are telling me that it need to be HFS? Than Photoshop should see it and put there my Scratch Disk?
    Gonna test it and let you know.. ;)