Photoshop Serial Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iMatt mini, Aug 31, 2005.

1. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

Ok, so I didn't want to buy CS2 when it came out, too expensive, but I did want to buy a legal version of Photoshop cheap. So I looked around ebay and pricegrabber and found out that oxzee.com was selling Photoshop 7.0 for $99. OEM. I bought it and got it and it wasn't a copied CD or anything, everything was legit. I'm looking to buying CS2/CS3 whenever it comes out for my Mac however. I've heard stories how people get the upgrade price but on a different OS. However, I need to know how legit my serial code is. I think it is, but you never know. I don't want to call and ask because I don't want any problems if it isn't Okay. Oxzee claims it is okay but, you never know.
    Is there anyway I can find out without calling Adobe?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, you're going to have to call Adobe. If you purchase an upgrade version of Photoshop CS2, to activate it, you have to CALL Adobe. Only full-price versions can be activated without calling them. I've already looked into this myself... and I ended up buying Photoshop Elements, which has no such restrictions.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The serial code is most likely fine, but the package was part of a bundle, such as a scanner, so it's not really a proper deal, but then, you knew that when you paid $600 fewer for it than retail.

4. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Just to clarify, you do NOT have to call Adobe to "activate" an upgrade to CS2. I had 7.0 (educational), purchased the CS2 upgrade through Adobe's online store, downloaded it, and was ready to roll in 10 minutes -- no phone call necessary.

5. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

I was using Elements the other day, wasn't too bad but didn't use it too much, so what are the main differences. I noticed the tools panel look was different(placement of buttons) and there was no slice tool, but what else? There must be more since it's a lot cheaper.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No CMYK or Lab Color.

Cleo:

That's scary that it works.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Two things that I've actually wanted and haven't been able to use recently are a channel mixer (at least, it doesn't have one in a straightforward sense, although you can get by pretty well with color variations + remove color) and scripting (so that you can use Automator, which works with CS2 but not PSE3).

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Perhaps it's different when you buy the software through their online store... but the Adobe rep I spoke to said that a phone call to Adobe would be necessary if I went to Best Buy or CompUSA and bought an upgrade version of CS2 and installed it.